Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

LX headers question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iamboo is on a distinguished road
LX headers question....

if you notice the design of headers, it has 4 small tubes that exits straight into the cat... my question is... can i just get the upper half of the DC headers for the LX, make my own downpipe and move the cat after the downpipe ?? i'd probably have the get an extension for O2 that goes after the cat but other than that can this be done ???
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
On the LX the cat is welded straight on to the exhaust manifold(4 tubes)......You could cut it off buy DC's EX(LX n/a yet) and then a custom downpipe(or even the EX downpipe)......welded back on to the cat......but it would still be illegal in CALI........But if I were going to go through all that I'd just get the Kamikaze.......You might be able to sneak past the emissions doesn't know the difference between the models........
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

zetaR is an unknown quantity at this point
That sounds like a big headache. It would probably be much easier just to get the Kamikaze header, which is specifically made for the lx/dx. Plus, there's a group buy going on right now for it. I think it's down to like $205. It may get even lower with more people. Kamikaze also boasts that their headers produce 4-5 more horsepower than DC Sports. Either way, you're probably still going to screw up your emissions.
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
"Kamikaze also boasts that their headers produce 4-5 more horsepower than DC Sports."
Do we know if this is actually true. I did read this some where but I dont believe half the things I read with out some proof.
Old 07-18-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
hmmmm... i wanna get those headers.... but why wouldn't it pass smog if i can put a cat on the back of the downpipe ??
Old 07-18-2002
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
(blah) emissions whatever
Old 07-19-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: iamboo
hmmmm... i wanna get those headers.... but why wouldn't it pass smog if i can put a cat on the back of the downpipe ??[hr]

I never said it wouldn't pass the smog emission part of the test,,,,but I doubt it would pass the visual test, especially if you have to go to a TEST ONLY center......MY brother had to go to one with his Integra,, the guy pointed out everything without a CARB number on it and said come back stock or with CARB stickers......My brother went out and bought a DC(carblegal) header to replace his HotShot headers.....He also had to get stickers for his intake and ignition.....I hate TEST ONLY centers.......If you ever have to get smogged in CALI, hopefully its at a regular smog place instead of the TEST ONLY centers..........Or can do it right the 1st time and go everything CARB legal......
Old 07-19-2002
Registered!!

Again, any tampering with the Cat is a big no-no in Cali......but I'm sure the smog guys wouldn't know as long as you have all you sensors hooked up......
Old 07-19-2002
Registered!!

zetaR is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Colombian4Lyf
"Kamikaze also boasts that their headers produce 4-5 more horsepower than DC Sports."
Do we know if this is actually true. I did read this some where but I dont believe half the things I read with out some proof.[hr]
Yeah, it's hard to believe what some of these companies say. I don't know about the DC header, but I do have the Kamikaze and I felt good gains. It may also be due to less airflow restriction since my cat was removed.