Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

good price for a tint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mastercave is an unknown quantity at this point
good price for a tint?

Hey guys, I went to a local tint shop for an estimate on my coupe today. I asked the guy how much would it be for the 2 back windows, rear windshield, 2 front windows, and the front windshield (4" strip). He told me $135, but I'm not sure if he thought I meant the whole front windshield. That is totally illegal right? I then asked for a price on a reflective tint and he said extra $50, so a total of $185 for the reflective tint with lifetime warranty and I could get 15% off if I mention the yellow pages. He showed me some %s and he said I could get 20% reflective in the back and 50% in the front, without hassle from the cops. The problem there was he showed me tints which were pretty high up on a white wall and I could only stick my hand in front of it so I couldn't really see the quality of the reflection. So my main questions is $185 a good price? The tint sample has a label next to it called "Cool Chrome", does anyone know how 20% and 50% looks or is all % pretty much the same, only difference is the brand? My big concern is that the tint would not be as reflective as I hoped.
Old 06-17-2002
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
185 is good price. my shop ask 225 for reflextive tint for 2 dr .
i paid 155 for my black tint. 20% side , 15% back (2 layer(Black and stock green tint.)
185 is good price compare to my shop.
heres my car CLICK!
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
i dunno, 20 is not dark enough for me.
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

johnride is an unknown quantity at this point
That is a good price for that tint.
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
i got 30% reflective tint, blocks light and heat for $130
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

ALLcustom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i guess it depends on where you're from... like here in FL, reflective is no more expensive than regular... i got mine done last weekend for 128 after tax... so it was like 119, i say shop around... i got my price from the first place i went, so there's bound to be something better... oh, plus i have 35% and 20%... the darkest legal in FL...
Old 06-17-2002
B
Registered!!

B is an unknown quantity at this point
for 15% round trip it runs me $140 up here in NYC
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

BigHippo22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I paid 160 after tax for a 2 door with just black tint.....I think that price was a little high, but they did an awesome job....I don't know anything about the prices of the mirror tint though...sorry
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

andypanda is an unknown quantity at this point
i paid $175 for all 5 windows
35% all the way around
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

Canter69 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow.........i payed $99 for 20% all the way around, and 15$ extra for windshield in baltimore, MD
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

When people say windshield, do they mean the strip or the whole thing? I think it's weird to get a full reflective windshield.
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

TeamOutrage is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont know the % but i have dark in front and limo in back no seams and i paid $140 with a lifetime warrenty on it in s. cali....they did a great job too compared to where i had my other car tinted and they wouldnt even do the tint i wanted
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

sovereign82 is an unknown quantity at this point
I payed $175 for 35% silver to chrome fade on all 5 windows. The back window was also done seamlessly and it came with a 1year warranty.

sov82
Old 06-18-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you payed under $100 for all the windows I would really wonder about what kind of tint they used, did you get a warranty on it? Unless you knew someone who hooked you up with that deal I wouldn't trust the film. I payed 170 for Limo on the back 3 and 22% on the front and a limo window strip. As for the front windshield I don't know of any shops that would do it, its 100% illegal unless you have a doctors note. In March I finally got sick of the 22% and the odd looking tint with 22% in the front and 6% in the back so I had them match it for $80 thats for removal and install of Solar Gard Film that I have around the whole car.

I have no clue on reflective I never wanted it just doesn't look right and attracts cops too much.

Nick
Old 06-18-2002
Registered!!

deathor is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to say, but you're definitely not being specific enough. The brand of tint really matters. I have a tinting friend who has to charge more for the more expensive tints, so it really does depend on what kind of tint besides just how much you want done and what degree. I have like the second most expensive kind of film on my car, and it's totally worth it. Quality really matters. So maybe it's better to pay more for a better film.
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-18-2002
Registered!!

they used 3m tint, and yes i got a liftime warrenty. It was like my 4th or 5th car that i have had done by these guys and they did a really good job. I think i paid like an extra 25$ to tint behind the 3rd brake light, looks a hella lot better. I think that i got a kinda hooked up price i think they regularlly charge like 119$ for 2 door cars.
Old 06-18-2002
Registered!!

also when we talk about tinting the windshield, we arer talking about tinting the top 6 inchs of the windshield, well at least i am!!
Old 06-18-2002
Registered!!

ironcow is on a distinguished road
my ride's go 20% all around
Old 06-18-2002
Registered!!

I called the place today to ask them what brand they use and they use something called monico or something like that. He had an accent so I couldn't understand him. Is this brand any good or should I shop elsewhere?
Old 06-18-2002
Registered!!

never heard of that, but when you roll up to the shop 9 times out of 10 one of the peeps who work in the shop have there windows tinted by that shop. so ask the sales dude to see one of their cars, if it's a good shop the guy won't have any problem showing you a sample car! good luck!
Old 06-18-2002
Registered!!

i think what matters most is if you get a lifetime warrenty on your tint. i refuse to pay the money and not have a lifetime warrenty. that tells me they wont stand behind their tint or the job they do. it may be a pain in the *** but if i see a bubble i go back and its redone for free. i have had it start to peel off on my old car on the corners of my front windows and went back to have it replaced for free.....and that was like 5 years after the tint was done. the place i took my honda too did not charge me extra to go behind the brake light. they do it standard unless they are asked not to. you really need to go around and do your homework. dont get taken by a high price and no warrenty. also make for sure they do not do the tint with seems on the rear window
Old 06-19-2002
Registered!!

So what does the warranty cover? Let's say I get pulled over for having reflective tints, would they change it back to normal black free of charge? Or does the warranty only cover bubbles and pealing?
Old 06-19-2002
Registered!!

any tint no matter what color it is the warrenty does not cover you getting pulled over for it. the warrenty only covers the tint and the job itself. if you get a fix-it-ticket they will take it off for free for you and put it back on for you after you take care of your fix it ticket (that is if you arent given a straight ticket on it) at a lower price. but if it starts to bubble or tear or there is lint in it and it just drives you up a wall they will redo it free of charge
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
I paid $150 for the reflective tint with the lifetime warranty, and I have a Sedan.........Wait I had to go back and pay $15 for the front strip........
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: TeamOutrage
any tint no matter what color it is the warrenty does not cover you getting pulled over for it. the warrenty only covers the tint and the job itself. if you get a fix-it-ticket they will take it off for free for you and put it back on for you after you take care of your fix it ticket (that is if you arent given a straight ticket on it) at a lower price. but if it starts to bubble or tear or there is lint in it and it just drives you up a wall they will redo it free of charge[hr]

The Tint shop my buddy went to costs hella expensive 50% more than most places....but if you get a ticket they'll take the tint off.....get your ticket signed off.....and put then tint back on...........Coool if you have the extra cash.......

Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

The Tint shop my buddy went to costs hella expensive 50% more than most places....but if you get a ticket they'll take the tint off.....get your ticket signed off.....and put then tint back on...........Coool if you have the extra cash.......[hr][/QUOTE]

the tint shop i got mine done at was not that expensive ($140.00 for dark in the front 2 and limo in the back 3) and if you get a ticket yes they take it off for free and it is only $40 to have it put back on. you just have to bring the ticket with you. but like i said before the lifetime warrenty i got with it was no extra charge and i can go in at any time i am unhappy with how the tint is looking and have it redone for free.
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

wawacito is an unknown quantity at this point
There are three brands of tint that I know of and all are reputable.

Madico
3m/Llumar
Solargard

I listed them in order of price from cheapest to most expensive. Around here on Long Island, NY the prices range from $185 to $225.

Has anybody found a lower price?

Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

blackasnight2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
be lucky you don't live in pittsbugh, PA cause i got raped paying $220 for all 5 windows with just normal black tint, and worst of all is that all our shops are not tinting anymore so people are stuck with 1 or 2 to chose from...
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: wawacito
There are three brands of tint that I know of and all are reputable.

Madico
3m/Llumar
Solargard

I listed them in order of price from cheapest to most expensive. Around here on Long Island, NY the prices range from $185 to $225.

Has anybody found a lower price?[hr]
I guess the guy meant to say Madico.
Old 07-13-2002
Registered!!

windowtint is an unknown quantity at this point
that would 4 brands you named. 3M and Llumar are not the same company.

and no BRAND is NOT imporant. WARRANTY IS. I carry all the major brands and I tell customers the same thing when they ask "what film do you carry?" ~ "why? would you know the difference or are you going by what another shop or friend told you?"

Quick Reply: good price for a tint?