Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Need front bumper without license plate thing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Player1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need front bumper without license plate thing

I'm looking for a front bumper without license plate thing (ruins the smooth/rounded look) that also works with the OEM fog lights (which I already have).

Another option is to remove the license plate thing.
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

SatinSilver2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't think honda makes them without it..
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
AFTERMARKET
Old 06-02-2002
em2

sspem2 has a spectacular aura aboutsspem2 has a spectacular aura about
get a tsunami bumper or some another aftermarket bumper[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

CivicVTec is an unknown quantity at this point
the only way u want factory front bumper w/o the license plate frame is to go to a body shop and have them shave it off for you...check member rise...one black civic has that done w/ the factory bumper...looks nice
Old 06-02-2002
GT-S BoY

ProDigy is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want that, won't you have to take the risk on getting a FIX it Ticket cuz no license plate in the front?
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: ProDigy
if you want that, won't you have to take the risk on getting a FIX it Ticket cuz no license plate in the front?[hr]
some states dont require license plate in the front [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

sorry... "CivicMAN67" pull all his pics off so this is the best one i got from him
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
it always seems that as soon as someone puts in general a topic about how something is dangerous or illegal, someone in parts or tech wants to know how to do it. *sigh*

factory bumper + grinder + fiberglass + touch-up-paint (preferrably repaint) = cheaper than a new bumper, and will definitely work with factory lights.

its simple:

#1 use a grinder, course sandpaper (power sander), or a dremel to remove the square on teh factory bumper.

#2 fill it from teh inside with foamcore, ducttape, bondo, chicken wire, or any combination to round the hole out.

#3 glass over it. be sure to rough up any area that your gonna put glass on cause it needs to adhere, and your gona needa paint it anyways, so dont worry about that, either.

#4 sand sand SAND! you gotta use sandpaper and lots of it to get it to smooth out and look integrated. this is the longest yet simplest step!

#5 take your bumper to a shop and have it paintmatched, or take it to honda and have them repaint your bumper. When my buddy in San Jose got his tsunami LIP painted, it was $115, so I would imagine it would cost a touch more to have your whole bumper done.

#6 install your foglights, install your bumper on teh car, get your fix-it ticket ( [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] ) and enjoy!
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

SQCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Please direct me to someone who has had this done to an OEM bumper. I have been trying to get this done ever since I got the car and have always been told that it is far from being a simple process.
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

go ask CIVICMAN67
Old 06-02-2002
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
No front license plate = Ticket. Check your local laws. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: SQCivic
Please direct me to someone who has had this done to an OEM bumper. I have been trying to get this done ever since I got the car and have always been told that it is far from being a simple process.[hr]
well, its only a concept at this stage, I dont know anyone who has done it, nor anyone who is willing to put teh time and effort into doing this.

as far as a simple project, at this point in time, my views are a bit skewed as to what a simple project really is [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

but basically, its alot of work. a TON of work. sanding is not an easy process (unless the surface is flat) nor is it quick. this is where most of yoru work is gonna go. the nice thing, however, is that you cannot screw up. if it doesnt turn out good, you can cut or sand down areas and put a new glass layer on, that is teh nice thing about working with fiberglass.

but I can certainly do all this work, if someone doesnt want to try it themselves, Ill do it. I need my liscence plate on my bumper, and jsut like dimming headlights, I dont have a super big problem with it being there.

if it bugs you, ill do the work [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

but BEFORE YOU START, make sure you visit a paint shop or the dealership and ask the price of painting, becasue you definitely dont want to hack your bumper, add fins and a bunch of stuff to make it look really cool, just to find out that noone can paint it, or worse, that they are gonna charge you $500 for paint matching >.<

I would LOVE to see someone do this, ive always thought about fabrication of trim pieces, and in teh end, i always decline due to other projects and just plain rediculousness of what i want to do (stuff like relocating the backup lights and stuf like that - not worth it!)

but you guys here all know how much i love home brewed projects that are nutty (allman's strut hood was a really good example of this) so if anyone ever makes an attempt at this, lemme know, i wanna see project pics!
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

SQCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
No front license plate = absolutely nothing in Mississippi.
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
That would be sweet to have that done its just stupid I think to have a front plate, just gives the cops another thing to target for radar I am going to just throw the plate up on my dash or under the seat when I move back to Oregon since they give you 2 plates. But yeah Arizona only has one plate, they have been trying to get it passed to have 2 now so dunno I heard that back in 2000 since only one plate saved them money.

Nick
Old 06-02-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I've been driving around without a front lecense plate for something like 8 months now and I haven't been pulled over yet. I live in Massachusetts. If and when that does happen I'll say that the license plate was damaged in the accident I had and that the body shop didn't get to put one on because I wasn't issued a new one. Anyway, I doubt that it'll get to that. We'll see...
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

Where I'm from, you don't need a front license plate. Alberta, Canada.

If I went for an aftermarket bumper, is there anything that would work with the OEM foglights?
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

i dont know 100% sure, but I would guess that if you dont wanna cut yoru bumper, then youll probably have to sell your foglights.

someone in market place is selling their bumpers. you can get one for $150, then cut, paint, if it doesnt work, you didnt mess up your car, if it does, then you can sell your stock one.

$250 investment for a stock bumper thats rounded.
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

I haven't taken off my front bumper so does anyone know if I can shave it off without leaving a hole? Also, how thin will it be where it's shaved?
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

if you wanna shave it, the basic directions are up there ^^^^^^

yeah, there will be a big hole, and youll need to fiberglass it round, then sand it to hell, then get yoru bumper repainted. its up there, i wrote it
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

I heard that new bumpers come unpainted. Can anyone confirm this? Also, what is our bumper made of? Fibreglass? Poly Urethane?

Anyway, does anyone think the bumper for the Acura EL (see Acura Canada) would work? If so, would the OEM front skirts work on it as well? And yeah, I know this means I'd have to scrap my fog lights but the EL bumper has its own.
Old 06-02-2002
DIY King

The OE bumpers do come unpainted, true.
The OE bumpers are made out of urethane, yep.

I'm not sure about the Acura EL front bumper though. I know that the headlights are shaped differently, so the hood is a no go without the EL's headlights. I also know the grill is differently shaped. You'de need the front grill along with the bumper if you were to get the bumper itself. You'de also need the front grill backing as well. The different shape of the Acura EL front bumper definately doesn't allow for the OE body kit.
Old 06-03-2002
Registered!!

merz is an unknown quantity at this point
Lot's of states ONLY use rear plates. For example... Florida where I only have a back plate. I wish Honda hadn't molded it into the front bumper either, but the work to grind & patch hardly seems worth it.
Old 06-03-2002
Registered!!

theres lotsa eally stoopid stuff we all do that seems hardly worth it [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

the fun isnt in the having, its in the building! im surrounded by failed projects, but it makes those that succeed all the more sweet!

better learning experience.

and like i said, someone is selling a bumper in marketplace for $150. so if your scared to mess your bumper, theres a guiney pig right there doesnt matter the color, since you gotta repaint anyways....

besides, stock looks better than tsunami full bumper and all teh kits ive seen out there, so hwo could you go wrong if it was sucessful? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

definitely worth a try, IMO, if it bugs ya that much. definitely
Old 06-03-2002
DIY King

[hr]the fun isnt in the having, its in the building! im surrounded by failed projects, but it makes those that succeed all the more sweet![hr]
I agree 100% with that. I totally know what you mean. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

sumama is an unknown quantity at this point
good quote. That's the best part, and if you have a friend that has the same car, its even better and fun...
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

Well... Santa, a Bunny, and a Hair Cutter? You guys definately win this one... hehehe... meanwhile I too wait for a good looking aftermarket kit that doesn't mess with the nice clean lines of my ride.
Old 06-08-2002
DIY King

Hair Cutter! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
To understand that you need to check this out: DIY: 7thgencivic.com Sticker
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

Obviously, Grey is a cut above the rest! - seriously, I checked the link and your DIY mod is nice.
Old 06-08-2002
DIY King

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] Hehe, thanks.
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

anibal is an unknown quantity at this point
All I know, is the our bumpers are made of about 1/8" thick polymer shaped the way you look at it....if you hack the plate piece, you'll have a hole of the same size...you'll have to cover that up....I guess if you're very careful cutting that pice you could get to use it to cover it...how??? it's flat....with a bit of heat you can get to shape it the same form as the rest of the bumper...then add some fiberglass or something else to attach it and work it out to look perfectly shaped....then paint it..it's a long and very detailed process....and you should really leave that to a pro...a good body shop could do it really good...but you're not carefull you'll end up screwing your bumper...I now we love to do things ourselves, but body work is no walk in park...no bolt-on or plug and play...I've worked on body shops, and my uncle and my sister's boyfriend are pros on that, so I know....but anyway...Good luck on the project...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

Edit: If you want to see how it'll look, just take a look at the Civic Brochure...all pics there have no front plate holder

Quick Reply: Need front bumper without license plate thing