Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

super plasma piaa

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evaporated is an unknown quantity at this point
super plasma piaa

I've been thinking of getting a pair of super plasma H4 for my 2k1, but some articles on the net keep saying that those bulbs reduce the performance compared to the stock H4, since the blue bulbs have a some sort of blue coating and things like that. These guys even had experimental data saying that those stock H4's are actually better (like overboost.com). What do you all think about this?? some one also said those 5000k super plasma is too hot for the 2k1 stock headlamps. Also, is super plasma H4 illegal in toronto?? anyone here has a pair of super plasma and is in toronto?? peace
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

StraightEdgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend and i both had blue h4's in our 2k1's ,,and they both burned out...so did my friends sentra...thats just my experience....they did look good while they lasted

Old 05-06-2002
ICE
Registered!!

ICE is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought the PIAA super plasma Hid lights for my civic and there are great
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

JiffyPop is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a pair of Super Plasma's and they are working just dandy. I would advise that you get the Xtreme Whites. The super plasma's are great but they don't change the high beam color temperature. Low beams look awesome. They do not put off a blue color... it's pure white... It just looks blue because of the color temp. They should not be illegal anywhere. Also, I have been using them for about 3 months now and my lights and electrical system are fine. Hope this helped.
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
ya I have lights similar to JiffyPop's super plasma whites from pepboys ($15 each) and they work well. You can only notice a slight differnce in them vs. OEM, but when the brights are on you can really tell the difference, much brighter and give a whiter look
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

TuRtLE714 will become famous soon enoughTuRtLE714 will become famous soon enough
hey evaporated i have a pair of super plasma gt piaa bulbs that i used for like 2 mintues for sale. Still work and practily brand new. brought them for 75 bucks willing to let for for 65 bucks, cant get them any cheaper anywhere else
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

<< hey evaporated i have a pair of super plasma gt piaa bulbs that i used for like 2 mintues for sale. Still work and practily brand new. brought them for 75 bucks willing to let for for 65 bucks, cant get them any cheaper anywhere else >>

Just curious why you didn't keep them longer? Get the Xtreme instead?

Nick
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

TuRtLE714 will become famous soon enoughTuRtLE714 will become famous soon enough
I had extremes before the plasma gt, the only reason y i didnt switch permently is that they dont match my parking lights. but the plasma are bright as helll though. So i just switched back to my extremes
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my Plasmas for about 6 months now..no problems..they look awesome..the headlights look violet..and they emit very bright light..tis good.. The color of the light goes good with my purple car...best appearance mod for the $$$..
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

Hey TuRtLE714 what's the different between GT and the regular SP bulbs, i know both of them are 5000k, but what exactly is the different??
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

The Super Plasma GT is more of a purple tint and is much brighter than the regular plasma
Old 05-07-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough

<< The Super Plasma GT is more of a purple tint and is much brighter than the regular plasma >>

i know the "gold" tint is gone on the new GT's.... and you're saying they are brighter and more purple than the regular plasmas?????
Are they purple/white throughout the beam???

hmmmmmm.... I might have to get a pair....I had my old Plasmas in my car for over a year until one finally went out......

Right now i have Polarg VIP Style H4's..... same thing as the Plasmas.. but they don't have that yellow strand of light in the middle of the beam like the Plasmas..... and a few bucks cheaper
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

FastandFurious is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys, don't know if you're interested but i know a guy who sells PIAA super plasmas for
$85 brand new. I think that's a pretty good deal. He also sells the matching turn signals
and parking lights for $20. Let me know if anyone is interested. You can email me at cclement@kpmg.ca.
Old 05-07-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough

<< Hey guys, don't know if you're interested but i know a guy who sells PIAA super plasmas for
$85 brand new. I think that's a pretty good deal. He also sells the matching turn signals
and parking lights for $20. Let me know if anyone is interested. You can email me at cclement@kpmg.ca.
>>

I can get brand new Super Plasmas, or any PIAA lights for $60 brand new, and turns for $10 here in SA
Old 05-08-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
I put in a pair of those super plasma PIAA's and drove about 4 hours in the dark. The last 10 miles I coulldn't see for sheit. When I got home I saw that the lights had turned pink. That sucks.

Old 05-08-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL...

5000K is just an idication of the colour of the light! It has nothing to do with heat temperature...
3200K-ish is stock amber clear... where as 5000K is bluish. Heat temperature-wise, they are identical.

SuperPlasmas are indeed dimmer than stock.

Think about it. They are both 55W bulbs. But one has a layer of coating on it (actually layers, on SuperPlasma). This coating acts as a filter, so yeah, there is going to be some light loss. But the loss is so minimal, your eyes won't be able to tell.

Oh yeah, and don't believe the "55W=85W" propaganda. They get that "85W" from colouration--as in, if the stock bulb were to be that bright, it would have the same or similar colouration. Nobody gets 85Ws out, when you put input 55W....... although there are some TRUE high performance out there, by Philips, they really does put more light onto the road, up to 30% (their VisionPlus series). But you won't see any blueish tints for these guys, since they are made for just performance in mind.

As far as quality goes, PIAA makes decent bulbs. There are far superior brands out there, like Philips & Sylvannia, but as far as looks go, PIAA does kick ***. SuperPlasma espcially has the H.I.D. look, from far away. And being "5000K" you will notice that street signs reflect a lot better at night. One down side of the SuperPlasma, is that many people report of bulbs burning out prematurely (myself included, I went through 4 pairs in 1 year). But some people are also having good luck with them, so I can't speak on this 100%.

Personally, the next light bulb I would like to try is the new Sylvannia's Silverstar. It utilizes their high performance bulb (30% lighting increase), but has the blue coating (hence, down to only 20% increase!). They are supposed to be brighter than stock bulbs, while having that aftermarket blue hue.
Old 05-08-2002
Premium Member

Are the Sylvainia Silver Stars available now? I really liked their Cool Blue better than any of the other non HID bulbs.

Now I have the Catz Zeta system with their Galaxy White bulbs. This system does actually boost the wattage because the transformers also boost the voltage to the bulbs. They give great vision and have a nice blue color coming off the headlight reflectors.

You can buy the bulbs alone without the high voltage system for $65.

CUSTOM AUTO CA
Old 05-08-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, Silverstar are available in WalMart, I believe. So expect to pay only fraction of the Japanese brands, like PIAA or Raybrig.

As good as the CoolBlue bulbs were, they were a disappoint in the looks department, because of the lack of the blue hue.

SilverStar promises to be even BRIGHTER, and with the colouration we want.... I'm going to buy a set for a '99 Civic, and I'll let you know what it looks like.
Old 05-08-2002
Premium Member

Thanks, 01Coupe. I'll check out my local Walmart.
Old 05-08-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I just put the Sylvania 9003 cool blue bulbs in my vic. The light is perfectly white with no blue hue or anything. I think they are a little brighter than stock on low beams but way brighter on high. The light is so white! Street signs and especially the white lines on the outside of the road are much brighter. I'm just curious as to how long they are going to last.

I got them at PepBoys for 15 bucks each.
Old 05-08-2002
Premium Member

The cool blues should last just fine. I like that white light and can see better with them than with the blue tint lights.

Now I'm thinking about putting the Cool Blues back in with my Katz system and compare to the Katz Whites. That is, if they can stand the higher voltage. I guess I won't lose anything to find out.
Old 05-08-2002
GODLIKE

ASIANPRIDE is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I am running Eurolites on my Vic and well Damian2k1 has PIAA Xtreme Whites....Well we were both parked facing into a flat park covered with snow...and well we truned on our lites...and OMFG the PIAA's are nuts bright compaired to mine....I hit my brights and well they were just equal to his lows...and his brights are like HID...so if you want HID...just buy some PIAA Xtreme Whites and drive with your brights on...hahahaha..but be sure you will really **** off the oncoming drivers....cuz they will be pointing really high into there eyes....but all i have to say is that PIAA is the way to go...
Old 05-08-2002
Panda

I'm waiting for my PIAA plasmas to get here...
I tried Cool Blue from Sylvania, the output on the road is great, the high beams are really bright and light up the road well.. there is no blue in it though, just bright white/yellow light...
Right now I have Eurolites H4 and the high beams are crap compared to the Cool Blues but the lows are pretty nice...
I cant wait to get my Plasmas
Old 05-08-2002
Premium Member

I got a one time chance to drive with the brights on with my Catz system on Interstate 59 one night and they are awesome. I could see as far as the road was straight. Problem is, we have our low beams on most of the time, so that's where the lights should be good.

I guess that's why the H4 HID retrofit systems are OK with them just having low beams and no Hi's.
Old 05-08-2002
GODLIKE

ASIANPRIDE is an unknown quantity at this point
Well there is a new dual beam HELLA/PHILLIPS hid H4 conversion system....go check out group buy....
Old 05-09-2002
Registered!!

02EXCoupeGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the PIAA Super Plasma's on mine as well and IMO, they're the closest to HID as you can get with regular bulbs. Sure they're a bit expensive, but if you don't have the $$$ for a real HID conversion kit, this is the cheapest way to go. I'm saving up for a good HID kit and also I'm waiting until the price comes down on them. From far away when you look at the light, they have that purple/violet color which matches the HID appearance. All of these other hyper white bulbs don't compare to the PIAA's.
Old 05-09-2002
Registered!!

which ones are better??

Super Plasma or Xtreme White??
Old 05-09-2002
Registered!!

RobearRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Just became a PIAA distributor. Just hit me up for prices.
As for the lights..The Plasmas are $65 shipped 2 day air

Rob
Old 05-09-2002
Panda

Rob thats a good price and 2 day air is real sweet. I wish I knew about this last week when I ordered mine...I got mine from Options Auto http://www.optauto.com for like $67 shipped UPS 4-5 days

and theyre still not here
Old 05-09-2002
Panda

Hey hey I just became a Member...wooohoooo

Quick Reply: super plasma piaa