Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

New Carbon Fiber Hood...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MadScientist is an unknown quantity at this point
New Carbon Fiber Hood...

One BIG Question!?!
I am working on a new carbon fiber hood that will definately create some downforce and cool your engine bay!!
Thing is I need responses on what everyone would like in a hood design: Functional, Looks, Fit, and most important $$$.
I know there is no Picture of what I am working on at the time, but I will post one in about 2 weeks. The aftermarket is looking dismall and I want to offer everyone on 2k1civic.com something unlike any other hood on the market. Our company holds 2 patens and working on a 3rd.
I promise that no company is going to make a hood like this !! Stock Hood weights 27.6 lbs. , Ours is 8 lbs.

Any questions or comments.... Dceptakon@hotmail.com
Please also reply on this forum so others will see.
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

MadScientist
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

bambuski is an unknown quantity at this point
wow, 8 pounds is really light.

I mostly like the OEM sytle CF hoods, but if one actually had a funtional scoop that actually cools the engine that would be pretty cool. I dont know about pricing, maybe 500-700?
Old 04-11-2002
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
i also like the OEM style hood with a type of air inlet to cool the engine. and 500 to 700 sounds right
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
non functional hood scoop = rice.

cool teh engine? ha. downforce? oh jeez.

looks? thats all its gonna be doin, so thats where you wanna focus.

EVERYONE has a different taste in what "looks" good, so my vote would be a modular design, where there is a universal hood with a hole in it, then you can bold on various fiberglass scoops onto it.

then you could satisfy EVERYONE here, and also be able to create something where the ricers here can have a "flavor of the month" scoop, or just pick and stick.

if i gotta put my input in, dont do mustang/WRX/trans am scoop, its so tasteless! that being said, i dunno. my vote is pro-stock, but thats just cause its what im gonna run on my rice. so dont bite! lol.

alright, ive said enuff, good luck!
Old 04-11-2002
Wicked Moderatuh

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Oooh, you should make a cowl hood that does'nt do jack. Oh wait, neither will those other hoods. Eh, I just want to see what you decide on.
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

mwwhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
i used to have a picture of a HOT A$$ blue 00 civic si with a full cowl hood....OMG, it looked SOOOOO tight....but i cant remember for the life of me, where i found that picture! if i find it, i will post it

peace
Old 04-11-2002
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
i dont want a hood scoop. those things are butt [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] ugly.
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

DonJuan is an unknown quantity at this point
MadScientist:

I just want to point some things out to you, hopefully it will help "YOU" to better decide which way "you" want to go with the designs of "your hood".

First off, consider this:

Why is the "average consumer" less susceptible to making mods to their cars?

- 'maybe' because some mods may not come close to an oem fit
- 'maybe' because some mods require too much 'permanent' modifications.

What is the best way to appeal to a large group of consumer's taste?

- KEEP THINGS SIMPLE
- Make it less criticizable ~ Achieved by keeping initial design simple!

For example you can see plenty of threads where people complimented 7thgen civics that have been modded with simple add-ons and simple modifications. All of the drastically modded civics only received praise from "some" members, not all. Why? because it only appeals to 'some' consumers.

So Cliff Notes Version of what I just said:

MAKE IT OEM FIT, LIGHT IN WEIGHT, SIMPLE IN LOOKS SO THAT IT COMPLIMENTS THE CAR, & MOST IMPORTANTLY - REASONABLY PRICED!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this is long, but i really wanted to help you out.

So hopefully I've achieved this!

Good luck with your designs!

If you need any more feedback/help/opinoins on designs post back here on the forum or jus e-mail me at: Tooxzist@aol.com

Note: The comments written here are simply my "opinion".

Thanks.

Binny
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
oo! forgot reverse cowl, of course!

of course, make it a bolt on, and thats included... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

also bolt on will allow a choice of "stock"

at a minimal cost in weight, of course

and if your looking to reduce the most weight possible, stock hood will be lighter than one with scoop.... and less drag, too.....

and you can fit those guage pod thingies there too, ive seen adds for it in ricer mag! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

again, props, cause this is definitely a hard project! prolly email you ince more to "swap" notes again [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] i hope your patents pass dude, best of luck again!
Old 04-12-2002
Registered!!

Club2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
What is needed is some kind of scoop for the SRI intakes. Looking into the RSX body kits, 99% have a nothced out area on the bumper for a scoop. I think in order to get some Cold air to the SRI's would require a scoop somewhere by where the filter is located. I was going to try & fabricate one myself, but I need a replacement hood or one off a junked 2k1 to cut up & try different designs. But a FUNCTIONAL scoop that is taking in air while driving (opening facing forward) is a definite must. I remember seeing 2 types of scoops for 5th gens, one that was a round opening that looked bitchen and another that was T shapped that I noticed on a few del sol's. We need the cold air, the problem is figuring how to get it to the filter without the risk of water coming into contact with it. I got some idea's, but no other bodies to work with.

EDIT: BTW, I am not talking a scoop that would let in enough air to allow an F-14 to take off, I am talking about maybe a 2" tall by 6" wide type a thing. also that opening flowing with the shape of the hood. Possibly even fabricate a little box that bolts into the engine bay that will direct the air from that opening to the filter. Like a tray to where the filter sits in, & when the hood is closed, it make a sealed chamber with weather stripping on the top so it will seal better that will allow the outside air to flow directly to the filter and not all over into the engine bay.
Old 04-12-2002
Registered!!

MadScientist is an unknown quantity at this point
First off, I would like to thank everyone for the advice.
Much of the ideas expressed have already been taken into consideration. With out a picture it is hard to discribe.
This will give you an idea of what I am doing :
1. Using an OEM hood, cutting a hole for the scoop that is made from high density foam.
2. Incorporating the contour of the hood into the scoop
3. Multi section vented reverse scoop, like the Shelby Series 1 but more and not so drastic.
4. Air in through grill and out through hood, directed path over windshield.
5. you can still have the little nose piece on the hood, I will make it carbon too..
6. Champain taste in a beer budget. NO FIBERGLASS, a core will be used, if I have to use Glass it will be E-Glass.
The only thing I have not told you is our Patens, and the one thing that will make this like no other Hood.
Oh Yeah... Light weight aluminum will be used for the striker and threads.

Thank you again and keep hitting me with what you like.
MadScientist AKA ----Drew