Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Can you paint an aluminum spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you paint an aluminum spoiler?

First and foremost, I don't want to hear about whether you like or dislike aluminum spoilers, think they look ricey, cheesy, etc.; I simply want to know the answer to the aforementioned and below repeated question. If you don't like aluminum spoilers, then chances are you don't know whether or not they can be painted, so don't bother responding, GENIUS. If you DO know the answer, then a simple yes or no with some expansion on how if you don't mind, and that will be sufficient. I repeat: I don't give 2 tears in a fr@ggin bucket what you THINK about aluminum spoilers, I JUST want to know if anyone is aware as to whether or not they can be PAINTED. Got it, for you nimrods out there? GOOD.

Now the question: I am looking at the APR mini-drag spoiler (available at RSversion.com, I think), because I like the style of it (it doesn't sit so high on the trunk that I won't be able to see it in my rear-view; can you say "Uncle Ben's"?). It is only available in black or silver, but my chosen motif for my ride is Blue, Silver and White, and I'd kinda like to do a WHITE spoiler. So the question is, can the entire aluminum spoiler be painted white, or perhaps even just the end pillars? Any intellectual answers will be appreciated.

:Hay-Soose Kreestow!!! I hope none of these GENIUSES neglect to read the DAMN message and start yammering about how RICEY aluminum spoilers look, cuz that would just be SOOOO intelligent. . .
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

BlueIce2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am guessing you can
Reason being is that i have seen a bad A$$ S2000 with a custom colored wing
the pillars and the wing it self was a metalic baby blue and the end caps were yellow
i didnt talk to him so i am not sure if there is a special process in doin it but since i have seen it done i can say that Y ES i almost positive you can paint an aluminum wing
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
You can get anything on your car painted if you have the money for it. For instance SpdRcrChk got the spokes on her tenzo shu's custom color matched (EBP). I have seen painted aluminum spoilers before too. I think you could do it yourself. Just a little sanding so the primer has a better surface to stick, prime, paint, and go over with a clearcoat... Probably a one day project...
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

djlunatic is an unknown quantity at this point
its metal, you can paint it.

sand the surface with a very fine grit sand paper . tack cloth the entire wing. prime coat it and paint it.

imo leave it alone. the silver wing stands out better and doesn't look to ricey.
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

form3hide is an unknown quantity at this point
You asked for it, Aluminum spoilers are [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-22-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point

<< You asked for it, Aluminum spoilers are [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG] >>

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have ourselves a GENIUS:

Good at
Endlessly buntificating
Notoriously
Ignorant and
Useless
Sh%t

Congratulations, form3hide: you're illiterate., GENIUS.
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
form3hide, you had to throw that useless opinion into what was at the time a good thread for vizyun. He stated pretty clearly what he was asking and NOT asking for. Read the thread from the beginning you moron, and try not to make an *** out of yourself...
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

form3hide is an unknown quantity at this point
oh relax... i like aluminum spoilers... i just figured i'd get it over with before some else does it.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

klectic has a spectacular aura aboutklectic has a spectacular aura aboutklectic has a spectacular aura about

<< Got it, for you nimrods out there? GOOD. >>

u coulda simply jus said i dont want to hear about ur opinion on the spoiler, but instead just tell me if it can be painted or not...
why go into so much on how you suspect these ppl will go on and on about their opinion.
and yes there are stupid ppl on this forum...but wut would u expect.?.

ANSWER-&gt;
yes they can be painted, but most are left just finished metal [?], basically unpainted.
ppl usually just paint the end wings, or have them in carbon fibre.
you can also custom make those end wings if u kno how to cut a piece of sheet metal well
so u can make ur own end wing shapes, instead of triangular ones...

Old 03-22-2002
Jon
Registered!!

Jon is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitely sand it down (really fine grit, and you know this man [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] ) so the primer can stick real nice, then the paint job will result in a bad a$$ wing, not like my friend's frankenstein wing that has some parts of it looking like an orange peel and the numbnut didn't sand it down and overall the paintjob came out to be sh*tty at best

oh yeah, don't forget to show some pics of your new wing cuz that motif you're talking about with blue, silver, and white sounds like a pretty good looking car [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

Klassy is an unknown quantity at this point
vizyun hmm, call now k.d.