The future of anti theft? - Honda Civic Forum

Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The future of anti theft?

Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

ricerocket is an unknown quantity at this point
The future of anti theft?

i went to the dealer today about putting a lo jack in my Si..tehn he told me abou tthis sick thing they just started using i forgot teh name but it cost liek $1000 to install...he is wut it does...let say i lend my car to my friend and i tell him not to go over 50mph...i need to call teh company that runs the sysytem and tell tehm that i dun want my car to go over 50mph..and once it does teh engine will slow down then come to a full stop. (they do this with soem kinda satalite) or i fi told my friends not to leave the city with my car..once he leaves the city teh car still stop...i dunno if any of u herd of this b4 but when he told me it blew my mind...damn it i am such a FOB...
Old 03-21-2002
APS
Registered!!

APS is an unknown quantity at this point
First of all, where did you learn to speak English?? And yes I have heard of what you are talking about, but it's not suppose to be available for like another year or so.
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
i think you should just stick with lo jack. we're talkin about a >$20k car here, not an NSX. if u get that system, you'll end up having all this crap hooked up to your engine. this sounds computerized so if there's ever a glitch, i doubt you'd be able to start your car or something.
it sounds cool though
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

its just my typing...my bad
well i'm not gonna get it but it just sounded so cool...damn wut will they come up with next?
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
talking cars...... KIT!
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

uicmedruss is an unknown quantity at this point
haha...next they will have a car that starts biatchslapping anyone behind the wheel it doesn't recognize
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

bambuski is an unknown quantity at this point
"haha...next they will have a car that starts biatchslapping anyone behind the wheel it doesn't recognize "

lol...
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

SmoothOperator is an unknown quantity at this point
pardon my ignorance but what is a lo jack????
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

XxOLYxX is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i was wondering the same thing
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

lo jack is this thing they put in your car..when some one steals it the cops can track it down..its something like a trackin device...but the guy who installs teh lo jack is very secretive aobut it...i have it on my 99 gsx and i dun even no where he installed it....they dun tell you and they won't let u watch them when they are installing it...damn bastards..[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

Duckor is an unknown quantity at this point
i can imagine them not installing anyhting and ripping people off. kinda funny
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

well tell u the truth no one would ever know unless there car gets stolen....if that happens i can smell a lawsuit..its the american way
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

oblivious9 is an unknown quantity at this point
bunch of haters... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
That would be cool, but honestly do you need it in a sub 20k car. Only if you've invested some serious $$$
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

i live in new york city.....enough said....they steal any thing from side markers to the whole damn car...fuggin guys
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
lojack is installed in a different hidden place every time.... but its reeeeel easy to beat if you know how [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

well since i don't boost cars...i don't know how....Avenger do u know? and would u like to share?
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

KevinFWB is an unknown quantity at this point
DEI (Viper) should soon be releasing their 2nd Generation version of CarCom. For those of you that don't know, CarCom is a device that you can hook up to your alarm which will allow you to control it via telephone. I had it on my Accord, although I haven't installed it on my Civic yet. If you get locked out of the car or want to start it where your not within range of your remote, just pick up the phone. You can do anything you can do with your remote. Anyway, the 2nd generation will include GPS tracking and control via the interenet. Its really kind of cool, you can get online and control your car, and see where it is located etc.. Endless possibilities. And, unlike lojack, you have access to the interface. And is from one of the best alarm companies in the US.

Actually, let me correct myself. CarCom2 is already out with coverage available in the US.
Old 03-21-2002
BAK
Registered!!

BAK is an unknown quantity at this point
KevinFWB - man that sounds cool as $hit. How much is it going to cost. That's what I want !!
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

Damian2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hrm....sounds a bit like the Chevy On-star system, and its too much like "Big Brother" for me. Damn people that spy on my **** with a satellite....even if its "protecting" me.
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

locozoko is an unknown quantity at this point
well considering that some people jack yer car to tear it appart and sell the pieces LOL thats great you tracked down the car.. too bad when u find it, it will be jacked up onto bricks and be stripped down!! that would suck though, hope it doesnt happen to anyone!
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

<< That would be cool, but honestly do you need it in a sub 20k car. Only if you've invested some serious $$$ >>

Actually, according to the most recent data, the 00 Civic Si was in the top 5 most stollen cars in America. I believe the camry and the camery solera were also up there. NONE of the top 5 stollen cars were "luxury" cars, by any stretch of the imagination. Fact is, most cars aren't stollen because they are inherently valueable, they are stollen because they can be parted out. Don't forget that the civic, in general, is one of the best selling cars in the country for quite a while. That means there is quite a demand for parts, and hense, a high demand for stollen civics. Anyway, that's just my .02!
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

oh...that reminds me...

One of the most valueable things that can be salvaged off a stolen car is the glass, believe it or not. There is a service now (not that I would remember the name, although I am sure that your local honda dealer would know) that inscribes every piece of glass on your car with a special code number. They can then trace those items back to your car. This makes your car very undesirable to professional thieves, since it makes it much more difficult to sell these items. You can't "scratch off" the serial numbers on the glass, so it makes it hard to conceal the fact that the part is stolen. That combined with the fact that glass is always visible to the outside of the car makes it highly undesirable to thieves. (This is prolly why the law states that if you use this manner of security for your car, insurance companies have to give you a discount of -- I believe -- 15%) Of course, if someone wants to jack your baby to go for a joyride, neither this or the lo-jack is gonna do the slightest bit of good, 'cause by the time you recover your car, it will already be trashed. Oh well.
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Electric engraver to do your own VIN or SSN engravings on glass/metal/stone/whatever:

Dremel Electric Engraver
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

<< Electric engraver to do your own VIN or SSN engravings on glass/metal/stone/whatever:

Dremel Electric Engraver
>>

Yeah, but the point of the service above is that they actually track those #'s. If you have your VIN scratched on your glass, who is gonna care?
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Thieves will care, because it will be a PITA for them to get rid of the etching. That's the reason why some cars have the VIN # etched on every piece of glass/body panel - it makes it less likely to be stolen because thieves will not be able to sell the parts with a VIN # on them.
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

Maybe...but if having everything marked with your VIN really kept thieves from stealing cars, why are Civics stollen so often? Like you described, civics have their VIN plastered all over them. Auto shops and what have you can and do buy parts that have VIN numbers off stolen cars. It happens all the time, otherwise chop shops would go out of business. That's because there are pleanty of ways to obtain parts from another car that are completely legal that mask what is really going on with some shady vendors...like from a junk yard, for example. That's probably because VIN numbers on installed parts aren't usually checked by the end consumer. I don't know if you've ever had the misfortune to have had to repair a body panel after a wreck, but if you have, did you crawl under your car and check the VIN on that body panel? Probably not. Even if you did and you found out that the VIN belonged to an insurance settlement vehicle, would that necessarily tell you that your new body panel was from a stolen car? Maybe it came from a car that was wrecked, submurged, etc. Your guess is as good as mine! Then again, you prolly wouldn't have looked in the first place. With glass, it's plainly visible where these items are marked and it's explained WHY they are marked that way. When you call up, you find out that HEY! This glass DID come from a stolen car. And lo and behold, something can be done about it. For example, the business that sold you that nice new piece of glass can be seized by the police. Hmmmm...now THAT sounds like something that might actually deter thefts. That's prolly why insurance companies offer discounts for getting your glass etched in this manner, and don't give you anything for doing it yourself with a dremmel. Anyway, I'm not trying to flame anyone with this response...just trying to pass on some potentially useful info. And since this is like my 5th post under this thread, I think I'll leave it at that

Cheers! [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-25-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point

<< lojack is installed in a different hidden place every time.... but its reeeeel easy to beat if you know how [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG] >>

OK tell us how to beat it.
Old 03-25-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Putting numbers on cars is like serial numbers on guns. First you gotta find it before you can trace it.
Old 03-25-2002
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
yeah.. i think at my dealership they charged me an extra 150?? to have the VIN number entered into the system.?? and by having this.. if my car is stolen and not found in 30 days.. they will give me i think 2,000$ and as a down payment towards a brand new car. and the rest the insurance pays off?