Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Installed my Optima Red Top.

Old 03-20-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Installed my Optima Red Top.

I talked about it before here: Battery: Optima Red Top, Monster Cable Terminals, DC Sports Tie Down

The installation was okay, but I'm not 100% happy with the fit yet. The stock battery sits in a little plastic box and that plastic box sits in a plastic tray. Both of those things raise the height of the stock battery so that everything lines up cirrectly. The Optima Red Top sits kinda low without the plastic box. I couldn't use the plastic box because it's too small for the Optima Red Top. I did use the plastic tray, but I had to put a piece of wood down betwean the battery and the plastic tray to level things out and make them firm. The battery tie down doesn't fit ideally either since it's too short to grasp around the battery completely. I ended up bending the middle somewhat to straighten it out and I tightened it down a lot and the battery fits very snugly. I'm not afraid that it's going to move around because I can rock the whole car while I'm grasping the battery. It's in there!

I'm going to drive around with it like that for a while until I fix it somehow. I'm planning on maybe getting a battery tray and box from another car. Maybe a Honda Accord has a bigger one that will fit? If I can't find one that will fit, then I think I might have to fabricate something. All I need is a kind of plastic base that's about 1.5" high with little prongs sticking out of it. Maybe I can buy a piece of plastic that big and make my own? Hum... I like that idea!
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

OPGForce is an unknown quantity at this point
which red top u buy? 34 red top??? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I got a redtop off of ebay, gel cell it is... I had to take out the tray, but mine came with spacers, I have a dc sports tie down and everytyhing fit fine... Its like 900 cold cranking amps.. before I could listen to my system with the car off for like 10 minutes at a low volume and the stock battery was dead... now with my new battery I can listen to it my whole lunch break (30 minutes) and now i have a lcd screen, and at a louder volume, and still have enough juice to start my car! its made by optima under a different brand, I think the guy is selling them really cheap, just search optima under car audio and elctronics on ebay.. its a great battery!

Old 03-20-2002
DIY King

OPGForce: Check the link to the other thread above.

IDQcivic: What do the spacers look like?
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
Grey,

It came with this plastic thing about an inch thick and the size of the bottom of the battery, actually it snapped on to the bottom, it worked quite well.....

Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
The Optima's are sold under the Interstate brand name, Tsunami, and one other company which I forget.. I Used an SVR deep cycle for my ride.. no mids..it's a direct drop in..has a low ESR (as do the redtops) which makes them great batteries [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]...I think I'm gonna switch to a red top and use Grey's idea about an accord Bracket.. I tried with a yellow top and couldn't get it in right.. so I got the SVR..

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 03-21-2002
DIY King

IDQcivic: Quite well is how well? Perfectly? If so, then I want that thing! Where can I get it? Where did you buy your battery?