Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

E-bay... Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jujarso is an unknown quantity at this point
E-bay... Any good?

Hey everyone... quick question.

I'm thinking about buying a few things for the civ, (mainly some black TYC projector headlights... among a few other things) I know some very nice deals can be found on ebay, but how is it's quality? I have never bought anything online before, so I am slightly reluctant to purchase over the internet.

Would it be wiser to find an official dealer in my local area and order the product from there? Or should I have no reason for concern? Feel free to make some comments! I'm probably just a little paranoid.

-Jujarso
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

pounds is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah ebay does have some good deals....you just gotta be careful who you deal with...some people will screw you.

just make sure you ask lots of questions and make sure you buy from people with lots of good feedback!

i sell and buy on ebay....and havent had any trouble as of yet!

good luck
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

cro2k2civicla is an unknown quantity at this point
Buying online is a great idea, be careful though with Ebay. Some people are there to scam you but there are good deals to be made. As far as personal experiance I have gotten a few used items that were claimed to be new. Good Luck with your experiances......
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
tornactive.com has some great prices and the owner usually stops by the forums to let us know about great deals he is having. Several people on the site have dealt with them and have had a good experience.

If you buy from Ebay, I would only buy from someone with a lot of positive feedback. That's not to say that people with no feedback will automatically scam you, but its safer with the proven sellers. I buy and sell on ebay all the time and have had no problems at all. Just be careful what you buy.
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
I can share both really positive experiences and negative ones.

A lot of small parts that I bought (not necessarily car parts) were used. But the descriptions were complete and the pictures were accurate. I personally believe that it is not that hard to post a picture with the ad. It eliminates confusion and protects everyone.

I did buy a set of wheels and tires and had a bad experience. The tires were supposed to be new and professionally balanced. I had to have three of them rebalanced and 2 of them had to have the valve stems replaced. This added to the cost, plus on any big item, you have shipping which was 149 dollars. That was much more than tax if I had bought them locally.

On a big item, I would buy from a shop. You have someone to talk to, they can look at the item and you can look at the item before you pay a dime. And it is easier to talk about problems in person. Pay pal also is little protection from fraud. They are only a middle man and will do little if you have a problem.

If you want a deal, buy from a reputable online store for a name brand item, or shop locally. The stress and time I wasted was much worse than the money I thought I was going to save. Luckily, after calling the manufacturer of the wheels, I was finally referred to a local tuning shop that has done much more for me than they should. And I did not even buy from them. Needless to say, I will buy a lot of parts from them in the future.
Old 03-19-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
if u are going to buy the tyc headlights from ebay, i highly recommend saltpepper88, great seller, great price, fast shipping
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

Sampsonite is an unknown quantity at this point
Just like everyone else is saying, ya gotta be careful with what you're buying. Try to go with sellers that have a lot of positive comments. I got an awesome deal on my new mirrors (pics comin once i get member status). Just be careful.
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

Snowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I do agree that if you use Ebay look for the positive comments. However look for the negative ones too. I remember seeing a store in a thread here a while back that had all these positive comments but a crazy amount of negative. Look for as little negatives as possible and with more positives. I know that might be tough for car parts but that's just my .02.
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

djlunatic is an unknown quantity at this point
its true, buyer beware!

all online transactions can be risky. its even worse trying to do a return.

check out your seller befor you commit.

w/ ebay your better off buying a name brand product.

lots of sellers are trying to push homemade slop on ebay.

one last thing don't buy from procarparts.com. they try and sell lots of things for our car on ebay. there are several horror story threads here you could reveiw on procarpats.com. just to see some additional information.

god speed [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

GeNoZiDe is an unknown quantity at this point
I ve been buyin off of ebay for like 3 years now
never been scammed once [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
but then again u gotta watch who u buy from. Like dont buy from some guy who has alot of negative feed back!
guess thats the only rule really
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

oblivious9 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had good luck selling & buying little things.

However I did get ripped on on a set of grills like the ones from grill craft [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

djlunatic is an unknown quantity at this point
"However I did get ripped on on a set of grills like the ones from grill craft "

me to ! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] it was a pain getting my money back from paypal. i was lucky because after i got my money back through paypal they closed their paypal account.

did they send you a product oblivious9 or did they teel you "its on the way"and " problmes w/ the supplier " for about 6 weeks?

i never got anything except for bogus reassuring emails.
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

oblivious9 is an unknown quantity at this point
I heard all the same excuses as you did. Unfortunately, they had in sufficient funds in their paypal acct to refund me. And as for my fraud claim w/ ebay, nada. When I won the auction, they didn't have even reported negative feedback. Last I heard, some guy reported it to the seller's local police.
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

VTECpnay01 is an unknown quantity at this point
ebay is great!! thats where my BF and i have been buying our parts.. and so far it's the cheapest place to buy aftermarket!!