Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

magnaflow vs custom made

Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colombianDXcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
magnaflow vs custom made

what is better, i mean damn i got my arospeed muffler and the piping for 200 bucks everything, i know the sound is different and u pay for the name...but the magnaflow cat-back system is 300 bucks...damn expensive.....why so much difference?
is there a difference in power or what?
cuz the size of pipe is the same so I guess hp gain will be the same or am i wrong?
Old 03-07-2002
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
it has a lifetime warranty, the t304 steel is whats expensive
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
300 bucks is not expensive for a cat back at all...look at some others and you will see.
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

pogi2k1ex is an unknown quantity at this point
i was gonna go custom before until i went around and got some prices,,,,the lowest i found locally was 200 for the piping and installation and 150 for the muffler,,,thats 350 total....also, thats not mandrel bent piping...
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

streetfxracer is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't see the difference till i'm on the dyno man so as long as it sounds good go ahead and stay custom[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-07-2002
Panda

I would stay away from a "custom" exhaust install. Unless you are getting a "Custom " mandrel bent exhaust don't do it. Chances are you will be getting the Midas bent exhaust. The biggest difference is the piping. The mandrel bent exhaust retains the full 2.25 inches throughout the pipe, as opposed to the midas bent that might be 2.25 from the cat, but once the exhaust bends, the diameter changes and gets smaller...this could actualy hurt performance. Most companies that sell cat-back or axle back exhausts are Mandrel bent. Magnaflow is mandrel bent.... Trust me, custom is only a fix if you want sound....and it actually is expensive...a stainless muffler costs $120, installation of midas bent catback costs $170 Thats $290 right there....

trust me...I've had 2 custom exhausts put on my two previous cars, it's just sound.....I drove my brothers GTi golf before and after we installed a mandrel bent cat back and I felt a BIG difference...nuff said
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

icey is an unknown quantity at this point
no point in callin' it midas bending. Call it crush bending, thats what it is. Just so people dont get confused with the terminology

Crush bending=bad
Mandrel bending=good

thats all ya gotta know. Just think of a straw. If you take a regular McDonalds straw and bend it at a 90 degree angle, and then try to suck some pop up, its really hard to get any. However, if you have one of those straws with the flexy stuff where it bends, the straw stays relatively the same size and its much, much easier to get yur pop
Old 03-07-2002
Panda

exactly

I learned my lesson 2 times over with my VW golf and my supra.....both had "custom exhaust"....
I'm not bout to make the same mistake on my civic....I'm just waitin for a good exhaust to come out....
I've heard the DC TCS and the Magnaflow, they don't sound too good, I wanna hear what the racing medallion will sound like on the EX, I'm sure theres a way to fit the EX system on our lx's..
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

icey is an unknown quantity at this point
all tanabe products are going to be loud as hell
Old 03-08-2002
Panda

really...I've never heard a "real" Tanabe Racing medallion, down here everyone has the Fake racing medallions with the fake silencer...The fake ones sound loud and annoying...they also wear out fast and start to sound funny after 6 months....
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

streetfxracer is an unknown quantity at this point
i got a custom on my car and had it installed for 85 plus the power tech muffler and the piping was preatty good to
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

Quiksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
I'ts all about the money. I can get a 2 inch exhaust with a tunnable muffler for 220 at a local muffler shop. compared to brand name cat backs you save. A LOT