Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Tech guys-critique this seemingly kick ass setup!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RX7T2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tech guys-critique this seemingly kick *** setup!!

Okay the reason a N20 dry kit is not doable is because there is no way for the ecu to detect the added N20 and add fuel accordingly. Also the NOS Sneeky pete (dry)kit is operated not by a TPS switch but by an actual button that you must hit only at WOT. If you hit it at the wrong time then bad things can happen. That NOS kit is only about 300$. Furthermore the Apex VAFC, if you arent familiar, has the ability to adjust injector pulsewidth and add adequite fuel at 8 different rpm points(linear inbetween), and at the specified throttle position. Theoretically this would solve the I need fuel to match my N20 problem associated with the dry type N20 kit(assuming the pump and injectors can keep up) on a 2001 Civic.
Well heres the kicker- you can use the vtec controll feature on the VAFC as an on/off switch for any accessory, and with a Hobbs switch on the Throttle body, set to be triggered at WOT, inline with the power button for the NOS kit, you can controll exactly what rpm you want the N2o to be injected at, without the threat of it injecting before WOT. And with the same controller(VAFC) you can perfectly fine tune the fuel to the ideal Stoich. mixture! All in one controller. So it would be lined up like this: VAFC vtec(nos in this app.)power out(on when you set it to be)- to hobbs switch(on only at WOT)-to N0S "go" switch.
It seems to me this would be the ideal setup, Complete controll over N20 amount(jets) and when(vtec controller on VAFC), and complete controll over the fuel to match it, not to mention all the other features of the VAFC!
Cost:
VAFC-400$
NOS Pete Kit-300$
Hobbs Switch-5$
Total only 705$
Advantages to this kit over a typical wet kit
*Controll over when you want N20, so not just all WOT situations
*Close to perfect AF ratios
*Monitoring capabilities of the VAFC
*Expandability capabilities for future mods with the fuel controller
*low cost N2o kit
*Data logging on VAFC(kinda limited)
*Neato fuel controller!!
So tech guys, chime in, and please be specific as to why this kit will or will not work

Thanx
Fred Pelletier
Owner:
Boost Motorsport
Dover NH
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

redsoxryan is an unknown quantity at this point
i am not an expert, and know little about NOS kits. but in my opinion the wet kit is still the way to go. Get the VAFC and the wet n2o system that is still a great set up. i don't see anything wrong with your way, except that it is not recomended for our cars. and i think it also depends on how big your n2o shot is, are you getting a 50hp shot or 100hp shot, i think that is going to make a big difference. the bigger that shot the more i would suggest wet n2o.

RedSoxRyan
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

black is an unknown quantity at this point
newbies! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

he said tech-guy's not newbies.. obviously his setup in conjunction with the v-afc controller allows the dry kit to be used as you would regulate the nos yourself, meaning ecu doesnt have to do it itself, right? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Becaude the ecu will only recongnize the n2o in wet format, right? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

In any event, tech-guys cmon, do your job! lol [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-03-2002
Giggity Giggity

Dakker is an unknown quantity at this point
just cuz he just joined the forum doesn't mean he was born yesterday geez
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

Actually the ecu doesnt regulate N20, as far as I know no ecu does. Ecu's dont recognize N20 in ANY format anyway, they would recognize more oxygen present. All "piggyback" computers simply cheat the ecu by changing the signals going into it from the motor, they work inline, hence the name. For instance with a carwith an electronically controlled wastegate they would intercept the signal and tell the ecu that there isnt enough boost, then the ecu would close the WG to raise boost. Anyway, it doesnt matter how the added fuel is introduced as long as it is. In other words it doesnt matter if it comes from a wet kit fogger nozzle or out of your existing oem injectors, as long as its there. Come on someone on this board must know day stuff!!!
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

2k1EXracer is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess it might work?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] But it seems like an awful lot of trouble just to run a dry kit. aside from other problems with them one of the drawbacks of a dry kit is that it works your injectors very hard shortening their life and making them more likely to stick open or closed. That makes them dangerous, plus the sneeky pete system is a shatty system. It dosent use a fogger or jets to regulate nitrous its just open or closed. thats why the bottle is so small. The bottle outlet is what determines how much nitrous goes in. So your idea would probably work but you will only have a 10 to 20 horse shot and you would have to refill the bottle after each pass! Seems like alot of work for a little gain. how bout this setup instead.

NX wet kit- 429$
Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind- 225$

Total - 654$

That makes the total less money you just wont have the ability to change your fuel curve but you dont need it because you will have a wet kit adjustable to 75 horsepower. The jacobs mastermind is common for musclecar nitrous users but isnt used much on imports. It works great though. it has an adjustable rev limiter, a fuel pressure safety switch and an RPM window switch to turn on the nitrous at a preset RPM and shut off at a preset RPM, PLUS... It allows you to start the nitrous flow at less than 100% to help with traction problems. I think this set up would be better for ya. hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

You make some very good points, and you are right it is a lot of work. Though to correct you I have had the Pete kit, and it uses jets to regulate N20, a 35 and 45 to be specific. Jets cost about 3$ anyway.In my case i have a couple larger bottles to solve that prob. Please dont misunderstand me I am not arguing with you. I have wholesale account with NX, I dont think the kit is THAT cheap, but I would have to check, could be wrong. Also pressure regulators are very inexpensive. I kow the Pete is a very basic cheap kit, but it teamed with the VAFC seam advantagous as a team to me. On a side note I have been taxing my 15 year old injectors well beyond stock levels with a SAFC for over a year without problems[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

BUMP