Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

THE BOTTOM LINE IN HOODS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ripper is an unknown quantity at this point
THE BOTTOM LINE IN HOODS!

Ok guys, I've been listening to all of this hood stuff lately, and even I'm thinkin about getting a hood, but there are no answers. Everyone asks which hood is best...blah blah blah. Lets name some specifics from people who have them based on the important things, how is the "skeleton" on your hood, how even and tight is the weave on your cf hood, how did it fit, how is the glue on your cf hood, how are the edges. Lets get answers out there to help educate people before they spend their money and end up unhappy. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the kaminari hood because it's the only hood I know I can trust for quality, but maybe someone can show me an equally as good lightweight cheaper hood.
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

silvervtec01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard the Kaminari hood was pretty good quality too compared to some of the other ones....
im not too sure, but i heard DG MOTORSPORTS makes a good one too, but its not as tightly woven i think. BTW RIPPER, u interested in comin to our meet march 2nd in Milpitas.... the more 7thgencivics, the better!!! email me: SilverVtec01@aol.com
Old 02-21-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about

<< I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the kaminari hood because it's the only hood I know I can trust for quality, but maybe someone can show me an equally as good lightweight cheaper hood. >>

I think you're right about the Kaminari. I bet that they're stuff is top notch. I was thinking of getting their hood, but they weren't out yet, so I went with the Fiber Images one.

The Fiber Images has a logo on the outside of the hood and on the inside of the hood. They're just raised areas that say Fiber Images. It has an internal skeleton that is taken from a mold of the stock hood, but it doesn't have the skeleton in the middle of the hood, just around the edges. They also took a mold of the bends in the stock skeleton that allow crumpling of the hood in a predictable manner. I'm not sure if the carbon fiber hood needs this feature?

The edges were razor sharp. The packaging that it came in was good too, so there was no damage during shipping. The weave was pretty tight, but if you hold the hood up to the light you can see through the middle of it. The hood weighs 15 pounds. The stock hood weighs about 30 pounds. I know that there are hoods out there that weigh a little less than mine. Maybe approaching 10 pounds. There were two defects. One was a little piece of the carbon weave missing on one of the edges. I guess it tore off before they used that bonding stuff. No biggie, you can't see it from a foot away if you don't know that it's there. There are also some bubbles behind the bonding gel, it's a patch about two inched in diameter. Again, not a biggie.

I transfered all of the stuff that was on the stock hood to the Fiber Images hood. Since the skeleton was a mold of the stock hood it was very easy. Drilling in carbon fiber, especially when it cost $550 is not fun though. I was scared that I'de screw something up.

The hood does not come with that piece on the front. That moulding. You have to either transfer that mouling from your stock hood, or you have to buy a new one. I bought a new one since mine was trashed after the accident. I had to drill holes for it and do a bunch of shaving to get that piece to fit. That was annoying. I had to shave quite a bit of the fiberglass and bonding gluee off to get that piece to fit. I felt like I was destroying something, but in the end it worked out. All I need to do now is paint the underside black where I shaved it because it looks lighter than the surrounding material.

Also, the hood needs to be positioned to the front more because either the mounting holes are pushed back in comparison to the stock hood, or after the accident my front end was pushed forward? Anyway, I had to modify the stock hood hinges. I did a terrible job too. I'm going to buy new hood hinges, drill the holes out with my new drill press and then paint them black to match the hood. That will allow the hood to move forward more and lessen the gap betwean the hood and the Tsunami bumper.

What else? The hood does stick up a little around the edges. Again, this might be misalignment from the accident, but I plan to fix this with hood pins. They will hold the hood down at the corners. Oh yeah, one more thing. The latch spring needs to be replaced with one that generates less force. You can't close the hood with the stock one. Well, you can, but you'll hear cracking sounds when you do. Oh yeah, the hood latch is also not plated or anything, it's just painted black. I noticed it started to tarnish. I need to paint it or maybe replace it? Who knows? I noticed that the Tsunami one is golden. I don't know what that is exactly, but I do know that metal like that does not rust. At least I've never seen stuff plated with that golden shimmery color to rust. Bonus!
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

rhyno is an unknown quantity at this point
i am trying to get the kaminari hood but i don' know if i can get i out in time. he said he can get it for me, $850 shipped but it will take a little over a week. i don't know if i can wait that long.
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

UTVoL is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally, i am leaning towards the Kaminari hood also, for now. maybe the whole kit, dunno yet. Still keepin' a eye out...
Good info Grey!!
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
I would love to Kaminari hood, but it costs so much. I dont think I could pay 800+bucks for it. I would have to buy something else.
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Why is it that you guys want the carbon fiber hoods? Is it just for looks or to shave a little weight or what?

I am not flaming or anything just curious...
Old 02-21-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Weight and looks and to replace the hood that got messed up when I got into an accident. I think I had enough reasons to buy one when I did.
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

rhyno is an unknown quantity at this point
exactly. weight doesn't mean too much to me but it does look pretty tight. if i were to give you a free carbon fiber hood, would you put it on? well, thats basically whats happening. i am getting nsurance money for the accident and its actually cheaper to replace it with a carbon fiber hood.
Old 02-22-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point

<< exactly. weight doesn't mean too much to me but it does look pretty tight. if i were to give you a free carbon fiber hood, would you put it on? well, thats basically whats happening. i am getting nsurance money for the accident and its actually cheaper to replace it with a carbon fiber hood. >>

Heck ya, I email my address for you to send it to me!

I just wondering if there was an advantage I wasn't aware of. I figured it was just for the cool factor, and they do look awesome. Just trying to gain some knowledge about the cf hoods in general.
Old 02-22-2002
Registered!!

ripper is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, if I am correct it is a weight difference, and I don't believe carbon fiber is as flammable as fiberglass. I'm going with the all fiberglass kaminari hood I think, for around 600 bucks. It is about 100 more than a cf hood but I like the way they look. I wouldn't pay the 900 for the all cf kaminari. I'm not really worried about my car going up in flames, I just want the scoop and a little weight reduction. Though if you think you have to worry about a car fire, then go cf. I had a buddies firebird (all fiberglass and plastic) burn to the ground in about 10 minutes when he wrecked it. Dam shame too, sweet ride.
Old 02-22-2002
Registered!!

01EXtc is an unknown quantity at this point
go aerogear, thats the company i bought my fenders from. a company doesnt put a lifetime warranty on something if its **** ill be buying my hood from them soon.
Old 02-23-2002
Registered!!

black2k1vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
$800 for the Kaminari!!!!!!!!
It says $449 in their adds!!!!!!
Someone is making money.