Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Opinions On Carbon Fiber Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicguy1xxxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Opinions On Carbon Fiber Hoods

Just wondering, ,what does everyone think of carbon fiber hoods? I know theyre supposed to be lighter but in my opinion theyre kinda ghetto. I make fun of people with different color doors, bumpers, misc parts, so why is a black hood on a different colored car ok? It just looks out of place to me, ,maybe if the whole car was carbon fiber, or get a different color like cf that matches the car? Do you really think it looks good or is it performance only?
Old 04-11-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
they are like few lbs lighter its all looks
Old 04-11-2005
The Legend

blackbullet will become famous soon enoughblackbullet will become famous soon enough
It's not a black hood, it's carbon fiber. Big differance. hehe But I like them. Unfortunately I don't think it would go good on my car, so I don't have one. But yes I like them.
Old 04-11-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
hood doesnt stand out as much as mixed colored bumpers,doors, etc.

porsche put one of there production cars that can be sold with optional cf hood. im pretty sure if they make it optional for cf front bumper, doors, etc... no one would be interested as those pieces of the body are way out of league. the hood is a great piece to mix up colors because i guess of its smooth edges and shape? front bumper represents to more closer to sharp edges and other various gaps/holes/grills which stand out alot, same goes with doors.

cf trunks sometimes can also look funny. but i think cf hoods look nice on most cars leaving the cf finish on it. not many ppl buy cf hoods for lightweight uses, mainly for show. there are some who also paint there cf hoods/trunks to match the car as well.
Old 04-12-2005
7thgencivic's Official Bad Samaritan

HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond repute
Most poeple get it for looks - if you want to get it for weight reduction purposes, paint it.
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

Nine49Kid is an unknown quantity at this point
it is lighter depending, but most high quality carbon fiber hoods still have some weight even though its lighter than the stock, if you were to literally go for weight reduction the lower quality hoods are actually a lot lighter, and just like 03blackex said, you can always paint it to match your car.
Old 04-12-2005
Spreading the sicness since: March 2005

-sic*n3s- is an unknown quantity at this point
Really carbon fiber hoods are for looks and show. But Fiber Images(I think thats the name of the company) suggests that they're carbon fiber products are stronger than steel in some cases. I like them on red white or black cars. Blue is ok but really just the other 3 colors.
Old 04-12-2005
Titanium Metallic. You got a problem with that?

Nodnero has a spectacular aura aboutNodnero has a spectacular aura about
I like em, thus I have one. Plus, since I have a Titanium Metallic, the weave looks like it matches the car in the sunlight if you see it at an angle.
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

civicguy1xxxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats cool guys, i really thought it was for a weight reduction, dont remember where i heard that a long time ago but i guess i was wrong. Oh well, i guess if you like it go for it......just not my thing. I suppose it would work well if you had a lot of carbon fiber on your interior. Anyways, thanks
Mike
Old 04-12-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
nodnero is copying me ... I have a titanium metallic + cf hood as well ... but nobody will be able to tell ... heeeeheeee. ;P

jk.

yeah, CF is for weight reduction ... currently, I have a CF hood and trunk ...
Old 04-12-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
If you have a back seat and no roll cage, then you don't need CF.
Old 04-12-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
My view on CF is simmilar to my friends. He has an IS300, and he recently got a Carbon/Kevlar hood. which saved him 60LBS off the nose of the car. Guess what.. Hes having it painted yellow to match the rest of the car. All the weight savings with out the gaudy look. :P
Old 04-12-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by robbclark1

but what if you like having a full interior?

(also, what if your girlfriend will kick your *** if you stripped out your interior?)
Old 04-12-2005
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
CF is like the crispy creme on donuts!
Old 04-12-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
i have one.....painted though
Old 04-12-2005
Titanium Metallic. You got a problem with that?

Nodnero has a spectacular aura aboutNodnero has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
nodnero is copying me ... I have a titanium metallic + cf hood as well ... but nobody will be able to tell ... heeeeheeee. ;P

jk.

yeah, CF is for weight reduction ... currently, I have a CF hood and trunk ...
Sure buddy, we'll see who has more C/F on their TM!!!

Old 04-12-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by Nodnero
Sure buddy, we'll see who has more C/F on their TM!!!

oh, okay, I see how it is
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

mkingk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
CF Hoods are great for weight reduction.
Painting the CF hood actually adds weight back on.
Old 04-13-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by mkingk2
CF Hoods are great for weight reduction.
Painting the CF hood actually adds weight back on.
take your stock hood. take a paint chipper and begin chipping away.

put all the paint chips into a container and how much does it weigh?

yeah, that's what I thought.
Old 04-20-2005
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by robbclark1
Note quite.

1) A roll cage's main purpose is to increase the structural rigidity, not reduce weight.

2) Carbon fiber hoods are often used not only to reduce the weight, but also to even the front/rear weight distribution. Ideally a car should have 50/50 weight distribution (hence cars such as Ferrari 360 are mid-engine)--FF cars such as the civic typically have a 60/40 distribution. So a lot of the first steps in lightening a car happens toward the front (CF hood, removing AC)

Not painting the CF hood gives it a more raw look, but production cars typically paint the CF hood--such as the R34 GT-R Vspec II.

<back into lurking>
Old 04-20-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aki
Note quite.

1) A roll cage's main purpose is to increase the structural rigidity, not reduce weight.

Actually a rollcages main purpose is to save your *** in an accedent, it just happens to also increase the structural rigidity of the car as a byproduct...
Old 04-20-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
How much weight do you actually save with a CF hood? Like how much does a stock civic hood weigh vs a CF hood?
Old 04-20-2005
Registered!!

FTK01CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
I want a cf hood but mainly just for the looks but it doesn't hurt that it weighs less than the stock hood and also that my hood has a few nasty dents on it.