Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

So Called OBX Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x1320x is an unknown quantity at this point
So Called OBX Coilovers

OK a customer came in today to have a set of coilovers installed on there 2001 civic 2 door. well I've done one in the past and the parts from this So called OBX coilover kit they bought off the internet looked alot differn't. Now I've known some companies to do this just to make it seem like they are using better technology so I proceded to try to install them. Well they fit the shock diameter and the shock height but the top of the perch on both front and rear didn't sit right. I felt that OBX is such a cheap company they just skimped on the material needed to make them fit perfict. Well once we got the car back on the ground the car made just too much noise. Again I have installed 1000s of coilovers and alot of the cheap cruddy brands like OBX make some noise cause they never fit perfict. But this was to much noise. My conclusion after making some calls was the kit was not made for a 2001 or OBX is just smoking some crack. the customer told me they bought it from e-bay and on accident cause bidding on more than one auction ended up getting two identical kits from two differen't people. So Be warned befor buying a SO CALLED OBX coilover kit make sure the box says 2001 and not just a sticker on the box. I hope I'm wrong, I hope this customer didn't get screwed by and E-bay scam artist or I hope OBX doesn't concider this a resonable coilover kit fittament.
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

ModNewbieHELPME is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that was "spoiledsteph" he is selling his second set in the marketplace at the moment. Problems with suspension is what has kept me from lowering so far. I don;t want to make a poor choice.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
just go with a set of Ebiachs...now problems with those that I have heard of...other than the blown shocks...but that happens with you just replace the springs
Old 01-08-2002
spoiledsteph

yes it was me and i know that i got screwed. well, the way i figure it, i know crap about suspension, and i gotta start somewhere. And i know that there are a lot of people out there, especially in the auto industry that like to take advantage of my ignorance. so now that i know what NOT to buy, i will buy something that will work...and no longer buy crap off the internet. SO yes, i did get jewed, and now i am trying to find another sucker...uh buyer..to take them off my hands. i freely admit to making a mistake. the reason why i got em was because they weren't real expensive, and i didn't want springs cuz the height wasn't low enough for me. thats why i got coilovers. but i was screwed in the a**. oh well live and learn.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry to hear about that bro...
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

1028CiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
spend some more..and get ground control!
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

x1320x is an unknown quantity at this point
steph trust me this could of even happened to the most seasoned racer. Internet scammers don't discriminate, and trust me I have got screwed myself a few times. I've learned to get cash payment upfront when selling on the web and to use credit card when buying over the internet. But the point of me posting was to make sure the guy on e-bay doesn't sell anymore. I'm sure you can call OBX and find out what they were made for and then sell them for the right make and model. I'm sure u could even sell them for more than you bought them for. Remeber we all need to help , on the track it's every man for himself, or girl, but off the track were just one big team.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

younggotti is an unknown quantity at this point
this should be a lesson- buy quality stuff.
Old 01-09-2002
spoiledsteph

i did call and the guy said that they were made for 2001.
Old 01-09-2002
Registered!!

1028CiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

CrankinCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
what did the coilovers say ??? was there numbers on it 150.34.66 and 125.64.75.. obx R ???
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

Essa is an unknown quantity at this point

<< yes it was me and i know that i got screwed. well, the way i figure it, i know crap about suspension, and i gotta start somewhere. And i know that there are a lot of people out there, especially in the auto industry that like to take advantage of my ignorance. so now that i know what NOT to buy, i will buy something that will work...and no longer buy crap off the internet. SO yes, i did get jewed, and now i am trying to find another sucker...uh buyer..to take them off my hands. i freely admit to making a mistake. the reason why i got em was because they weren't real expensive, and i didn't want springs cuz the height wasn't low enough for me. thats why i got coilovers. but i was screwed in the a**. oh well live and learn. >>

I got OBX coilover install in my car....and they perfectly fit...... I even lower mycar 3". It doesn't make any sound at all. The only difference is, I didn't buy it off the internet. I bought it from a local performance shop.
I'm sorry
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

Essa is an unknown quantity at this point

<< OK a customer came in today to have a set of coilovers installed on there 2001 civic 2 door. well I've done one in the past and the parts from this So called OBX coilover kit they bought off the internet looked alot differn't. Now I've known some companies to do this just to make it seem like they are using better technology so I proceded to try to install them. Well they fit the shock diameter and the shock height but the top of the perch on both front and rear didn't sit right. I felt that OBX is such a cheap company they just skimped on the material needed to make them fit perfict. Well once we got the car back on the ground the car made just too much noise. Again I have installed 1000s of coilovers and alot of the cheap cruddy brands like OBX make some noise cause they never fit perfict. But this was to much noise. My conclusion after making some calls was the kit was not made for a 2001 or OBX is just smoking some crack. the customer told me they bought it from e-bay and on accident cause bidding on more than one auction ended up getting two identical kits from two differen't people. So Be warned befor buying a SO CALLED OBX coilover kit make sure the box says 2001 and not just a sticker on the box. I hope I'm wrong, I hope this customer didn't get screwed by and E-bay scam artist or I hope OBX doesn't concider this a resonable coilover kit fittament. >>

If he got the correct coilover kit, he wouldn't have had that problem. I got OBX coilover install in my car, and it doesn't make any sound at all.
Old 03-25-2002
spoiledsteph

i think the guy who installed em didn't do it right. its like the springs aren't "stuck" (lack of a better word) in place. it sounds like they move around....kinda wobble around. i got someone who's gonna check it out. i know that gc had a redesign cuz they had problems with the perches not fittin right, and had to be cut. maybe thats the problem with mine...the perches need to be cut. or the person who installed em is just retarded and f**ked up my car.

yeah the coilovers had those numbers on it...i know i got the right kit. i think the installer was just retarded...