Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Gripforce Stage 1 Clutch Kit (review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iLLuMiNaTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Gripforce Stage 1 Clutch Kit (review)

Hey
First off, this isn't a full review since i'm still breaking this thing in.
I recently needed to replace my clutch, and even though I have a stock engine, I decided to get an aftermarket clutch, since I hated how the stock one felt/drove. I looked around and stumbled on www.gripforce.com . No one that I asked was able to tell me anything about gripforce, so I wanted to give them a try. Before I placed my order, I sent them an e-mail with a few questions I had. They responded quickly, had legit answers for all my questions, and seemed like a very straightforward company. I decided to try out the Gripforce Stage 1 Clutch kit (they have a bunch of different choices, for awesome deals (Exedy Stage 1 for our cars is only $245 there)) and sell Placed my order ($127 + S&H), and got the package really fast. Here's what came in the box:
GRIPFORCE STAGE 1 Pressure Plate
GRIPFORCE STAGE 1 Clutch Disc
Release Bearing
Pilot Bearing
Alignment Tool
This is what it said about the performance aspect of this kit: "This clutch kit offers 15-20% increase in clamping force and 20-30% increase in torque capacity over stock." On their website it also mentions that all the kits use parts from OE clutch manufacturers (Luk, Sachs, Exedy, Daikin, Valeo, FCC, NKK and Koyo), and sure enough the clutch disc was from Daikin. Didn't really bother checking the plate, etc.
And so, I had it installed. When I got in the car after and stepped on the clutch, it felt a lot smoother, but for some reason it felt almost overly soft/easy to push down (aren't aftermarket clutches usually stiffer?). Then I started the car, and started backing out of the shop, and damn this thing catches reaallly low. I barely have to pull my foot back for the friction point. My whole car feels like it's riding a lot smoother than before, bogging at lower rpms (when slowing down) is almost gone, and the catch point being that low just feels so sweet. When shifting it feels really precise and solid, unlike my stock clutch.

To summarize everything, I am loving the way this thing feels, compared to stock. Precise, and ride just feels smoother. For $127, this sure as hell beats the over $300 that the honda dealership quoted me for.

Also, for anyone needing a clutch replacement, try to stay away from Honda dealerships. Pure price rapeage. Lemme tell ya, they quoted me $500 for labor only on the clutch install. I went out to a shop that my friend recommended to me, and ended up paying $250 total for labor on the clutch, transmission fluid/oils, brake rotors and pads.
Old 03-11-2005
Diamond Member

Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool...I like the idea of catching low...I really hate how the stock clutch catches soo high up. I wear sandals sometimes and its hard to drive when it catches soo high and U have sandals on.
Old 03-12-2005
Registered!!

Jeff B has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Good information... I am planning on doing my clutch soon and I want something thats just a little bit stronger than the stock clutch. I will consider these guys for my upgrade...
Old 03-12-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
thanks for the review be sure to update when you rape the clutch at high rpm's. ive been driving an audi and the clutch feels so nice its perfectly hard to push down and makes the honda feel like theres no clutch pressure at all. im def. gonna look into this clutch
Old 10-09-2006
Vic On Dubs

midvis is an unknown quantity at this point
Ordering one this week... Thanks for the info..