I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

07, possible GREAT deal, apparent ECU problems: Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tolman8r is an unknown quantity at this point
07, possible GREAT deal, apparent ECU problems: Help!

Dear Mages and Sages, I am but a poor noobish fool, attempting to take what limited knowledge bestowed upon me by my forefathers, whose knowledge pre-dates that of the era of ECU's etc.

For your consideration: 2007 Civic Si, under 130,000 miles (high, I know, but new Tranny and Clutch, so even if I have to re-do the work myself, it'd be worth it for a Civic engine), in apparent great shape mechanically and physically. Asking price is $7999. Only apparent problem, the ECU was a Hondata unit removed when the prev owner found out he was getting re-po'd. LOTS of aftermarket work done, including Kenwood LCD screens in Pas and Driv headrests, wiring for two 12 in Subs and tweeders all up the wazoo, very professional looking work. If this guy had ONLY spent his money on payments...

So, dealer says they bought it at the auction, brought it back, got the Tranny and Clutch replaced (I'm assuming homeboy/girl thought it was Fast and Furious Anchorage Slip), but the car wouldn't start. Assuming it was a battery issue, they bought it anyway, brought it back, hooked it up and "gasp" no startie. Well, they found out it was missing the ECU, decided they'd spend enough money on it, and put it on Craigslist to part ways with it.

Long and Skinny: ASSUMING it's merely replacing the ECU, does it seem worth my time for a great car that, in all other visible aspects, is in great shape (checked Oil/coolant for any discoloration, saw no visible leaks, no cracks, nothing that mechanically was a red-flag), or are there FAR too many issues that could arise? Please keep in mind, I'm fine with ordering an OEM ECU and Ignition/Key from Ebay for $200 + shipping and taking that money as a loss if they'll let me install it and see if that's the only issue. I'll hear back from them Monday, I believe, on whether or not they'll let me tinker on my own. I figure, if I'm $250 and a weekend lost, not a big deal for the possible gains for nearly $4000 under normal pricing. Also, as far as all the aftermarket work he had done, I don't care if it's not "primed for performance" I don't feel the need to send it into Hondata for a refit, I don't care if the LCD hedrests merely rest my head. I don't care if I even have to deal with aftermarket Pioneer head unit and speakers (all OEM speakers are present, but I'll eat the cost of new ones if it's REALLY screwed up) Main issue, will I be able to get a smooth running, long lasting Civic for a great deal?

Thank you, dearest helpers, in advance.
I'm sorry, but even though I'm playing , It seems like too good a chance to pass up.
Old 05-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tolman8r is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 07, possible GREAT deal, apparent ECU problems: Help!

Ah, before I forget, here's the ad with any info I might have missed:
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/ctd/3010356831.html
Old 05-13-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If the owner did indeed have a K-pro ECU, that raises a significant red flag and causes me to question the long term reliability of the engine. A modified car is more often than not an abused car; K-pro is as an excellent ECU for providing reliable performance, but when in the hands of the wrong owner it can also destroy the engine. K-pro allows the engines red line to be raised, which when the engine is modified to support a higher red line is totally fine, but on a stock engine it can cause serious long term damage. K-pro comes with tunes that are designed to be the basis of a custom tune, but many people upload those tunes to gain the slight increase in horsepower and don't have the custom tune done. Those tunes are not designed for long term use, they're very rough and have destroyed engines in the past. Even worse and even more common are owners who fiddle with the options in K-pro after skimming an article on the internet on how to tune an engine, then proceed to create a tune that will slowly destroy the engine.

Of course, I cannot definitively confirm any of that and I'm just profiling based on the modifications on the vehicle, repo status and the fact that it previously had a k-pro ecu. I would not personally consider purchasing it unless it were priced below $5k, because I would want to hedge by bets against significant future problems.
Old 05-13-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Dang, I had typed a response, but it didn't post?

1) How did the car lot determine it needed a clutch if the engine didn't run? Was it that far gone that it rolled as if it were in neutral?
2) How could the car lot miss the fact it was MISSING the PCM? It is right on top of the trans that they would have had to remove to replace a clutch.
3) My BS meter is going off.

You can get a OE NEW PCM for $250, item #2 here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...OOM%29+%281%29

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! YOU NEED MORE MONEY!!!!

You will NOT get this to run by yourself.

If you go with ANY factory PCM -- either new or used, it will need programmed before it can run.
The key is irrelevant. Use the key that comes with the car.
Immobilizer KEY info is not stored in the PCM, but the PCM must be programmed to recognize the data.

Somewhere around page 7 of this bulletin is the PCM replacement info that explains some of this: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...am/A06-011.pdf

After it runs, the PCM should then have the latest software loaded into it. (reflash)

Figure on 1.0 to 2.0 labor at a dealer for programming all this. Plus a tow to get the car there, unless the dealer will give you the info for using the "immobilizer brake code" so it can be driven there for programming.
Hope it runs on the first try, and that the previous owner and the car lot didn't HACK something that will need diagnosed.

An aftermarket PCM may eliminate the immobilizer functions. IDK. Ask your retailer.

HTH