I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Powered Tube Sub For Si...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darita is an unknown quantity at this point
Powered Tube Sub For Si...

I've got an 09 Si Sedan, with Clarion Max685BT head, 4 Polk 685 and a 200W Kicker amp. I'm thinking about replacing the original powered sub with a Fusion EN-AT1100 10" Active bass tube that has a built-in 300W amp.. What do the experts say? I don't listen to my music really loud, but I do like to have some clean, kick to my base, rather than the usual fuzzy boom that I hear from most subs that drive up beside me.
I'm thinking about the base tube for three reasons...first, sometimes I load the car up with stuff, so I'd like something removable...second, the Kicker amp is already taking up space in the trunk, so the built-in amp is a plus...third, I looked at the JL Audio custom fit sub for the trunk, but the cost is way too high and I'd also have to add another amp to power it, so it's out.
I've only found one review of the sub and it was a glowing one. What do you guys think?
Old 12-09-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Powered Tube Sub For Si...

never heard of it.
Old 12-14-2009
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

just pick up an infinity basslink sub without the 4 channel amp, and find the power and ground and stereo lead wires, the sub is 200W/RMS and has a 10" woofer and a 10" passive radiator, itll sound like one 12" and the sub and radiator are Infinity Kappa. Friend did this is his RSX Type S with the bose "subwoofer" sounds alot better. It's clean, it hits hard and doesnt "hum" the bass
Old 12-15-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by cwo715
just pick up an infinity basslink sub without the 4 channel amp, and find the power and ground and stereo lead wires, the sub is 200W/RMS and has a 10" woofer and a 10" passive radiator, itll sound like one 12" and the sub and radiator are Infinity Kappa. Friend did this is his RSX Type S with the bose "subwoofer" sounds alot better. It's clean, it hits hard and doesnt "hum" the bass
If I get one of these Baselink subs without the amp, will my 200W Kicker amp be enough to power this thing? Secondly, I'm a newbee to audio and would love to learn the basics. Is there a site that can school me on crossovers, low pass filters, high pass filters, frequencies, etc.?
Old 12-15-2009
Registered!!

Stearic is an unknown quantity at this point

You wouldn't be running that baselink sub off your amp. The baselink includes it's own amp in the whole setup.
Old 12-17-2009
Registered!!

SPUNKYcivy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont cheap out. Ive heard some pretty bad stuff about fusion sound quality. Ive never trusted bass tubes because the enclosure they are in is not right fo rthem, and it messes with quality. If you want clear bass, for whatever music your listening to, do it right with and amp/sub/small enclosure
Old 12-22-2009
Registered!!

bigaudiofanatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not go with tube subs if anything go with the bass link as I have used a few of these and they are not bad. Any tube sub just sounds boomy nothing else.
Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SPUNKYcivy01
Dont cheap out. Ive heard some pretty bad stuff about fusion sound quality. Ive never trusted bass tubes because the enclosure they are in is not right fo rthem, and it messes with quality. If you want clear bass, for whatever music your listening to, do it right with and amp/sub/small enclosure
Please give me some examples. I don't want to take up too much space with the sub and amp and I also want to keep it as light at possible for performance sake. Also, I'm not wealthy, so cost is always an issue, however I do want quality products.
Old 12-26-2009
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darita
Please give me some examples. I don't want to take up too much space with the sub and amp and I also want to keep it as light at possible for performance sake. Also, I'm not wealthy, so cost is always an issue, however I do want quality products.
i have a JL Audio 10w6 sub and JL G1300 mono amp in a small box. the footprint is less than 12x12" and it absolutely pounds. it's clean too. you can have it turned up just barely audible if you're having a conversation and you can tell it's still there. or you can crank it up to ear-splitting levels and it's clean and tight bass.
Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
i have a JL Audio 10w6 sub and JL G1300 mono amp in a small box. the footprint is less than 12x12" and it absolutely pounds. it's clean too. you can have it turned up just barely audible if you're having a conversation and you can tell it's still there. or you can crank it up to ear-splitting levels and it's clean and tight bass.
I appreciate the quick response. Not cheap, but I may be able to swing it. What are the dimensions of the box that's recommended? I'm thinking I may be able to make the box, as long as I know the dimensions and type and thickness material to be used. Also, if ported, how's that done?
One more thing. I want the sub and amp to be in one unit so that it can be removed easily for trunk space...is that possible?
Just to be sure, is it JL 10w6v2 and JL AUDIO G1300 CLASS AB MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIER?
Thanks for all the info!

Last edited by darita; 12-26-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2009
Administrator
Administrator

the beauty of the W6 is that it needs very little air space. i'll try to get some outside dimensions of my box. it's one that the stereo shop spec'd for me and is going to honor JL's warranty for me, so i assume it's good. it's a sealed box which helps the clean sound. you can run the w6 in a ported box, but the spec's i've seen it needs to be bigger if it's ported.
Old 12-27-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
the beauty of the W6 is that it needs very little air space. i'll try to get some outside dimensions of my box. it's one that the stereo shop spec'd for me and is going to honor JL's warranty for me, so i assume it's good. it's a sealed box which helps the clean sound. you can run the w6 in a ported box, but the spec's i've seen it needs to be bigger if it's ported.
All the specs you can get would be awesome! Even the thickness and type of material used, if possible. Thanks!