I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Suggested amp wattage for stock wiring/speakers 09 civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skobydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Suggested amp wattage for stock wiring/speakers 09 civic LX

Any suggestions for the largest wattage amp without upgrading wiring or blowing up stock speakers.

I don't need to have the loudest stereo. I am just looking for an increase in volume with the ability to add a small sub in the future.

Right now I would just like to upgrade stock stereo with new head unit and an amp to increase volume (and possibly bass in the future) without blowing up the stock speakers.

Any suggestions would be great. Again, I'm not looking to go as loud as I can but an increase in volume with some bass would be great. Thanks for any input.
Old 08-09-2009
Registered!!

Hughey974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Suggested amp wattage for stock wiring/speakers 09 civic LX

Really i would not add an amp if you want to keep the stock speakers. Like you stated you want the ability to add a sub amp later and you also want to upgrade the stereo now so invest in a nice head unit. You will hear and big difference right off with changing the head unit and that will also give you the ability to add a sub later. Your sound quality will be much much better as well. Just invest in a nice head and dont go cheap, remember you get what you pay for.
I myself like Alpine head units but everyone will have different views on this. Plus you can go double din and even add Nav with what you might have paid for a headunit and amp as well as install.
Old 08-09-2009
Registered!!

skobydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hughey974
Plus you can go double din and even add Nav with what you might have paid for a headunit and amp as well as install.
Yeah, I like the double din with Nav. Adding a head unit first seems like the way to go and then building from there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I like working on my own vehicles and since this one is brand new, it will give me something to do with it now.
Old 08-10-2009
tym
Registered!!

tym is an unknown quantity at this point

just got a 2009 civic lx as well. really, really want to add a subwoofer (stock audio is pretty whack). Anyone have some advice for a newbie? I don't need anything crazy, i don't listen to hip-hop, just want a decent sound
Old 08-10-2009
Registered!!

vsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond repute

Advice to anyone who wants to add a small sub to their stock wiring: Don't bother.

Buy a nice head unit with that money instead, it can make a HUGE difference in sound. Your car will sound like it has a nice little 8" sub in it, thanks to those 6 1/2s up front and the 6x9s in the back.

Plus, then when you have a little more cash, adding an amp and sub is dead easy, and a lot safer.
Old 08-10-2009
tym
Registered!!

tym is an unknown quantity at this point

did some googling, not really coming up with anything. care to point out a decent head unit or a resource for finding one? tx
Old 08-10-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Check out Pioneers website, you dont need to but directly from them, but its a nice site to compare and contrast units. I personally have the Pioneer F-90bt and couldnt be happier.
Old 08-10-2009
Registered!!

vsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond repute

I currently have a Pioneer FH-P8000BT (Double DIN) in my car and absolutely love it.
Bluetooth ready (Phone pairing, comes with a mic for hands free talking, USB input, iPod support, 3 pre-outs, AUX-IN, etc). Unless you have something against Pioneer, I really recommend checking out their stuff. It's pretty affordable too.

If you're interested, my
has a few videos of this deck, or go
, demo-ing the head unit.