I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2006 Honda Civic 2.2 icdti stuck in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nasir600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2006 Honda Civic 2.2 icdti stuck in limp mode

Hi All,
First post on the forum. Thanks for taking the time to help. Couple of weeks ago bought a honda civic 2006 registration 2.2 iCTDI. It was bought stuck in limp mode and wont go over 2000 RPM.
Condition and history wise it car has prior accidents and looks clean. Left it with an independent garage that I normally use and they found following codes.
  • P0670 - glow plug relay circuit open
  • P0615 - starter circuit malfunction
  • P1384 - glow plug issue
To remedy issue #1 bought a second hand relay from ebay, swapping out did not make no difference. To remedy #3 replaced all glow plugs with good quality non honda replacements. Found glow plug number 4 to be not glowing to full red hot. Still that did not resolve the issue.
After two weeks in independent garage. I was advised to take it to Honda dealers to rule out ECU at fault. After spending 3 hours at honda dealers, they gave me a piece of paper with same codes as above with one extra issue that they found very strange on the car. They said HDS system was not able to communicate with the SRS system at all. And this is a totally different issue to the vehicle dropping into limp mode. Also worth mentioning SRS light is always on aswell.
So I took it to a local electrician and got him to run a diagnostic and he straightaway declared this an ECU issue. This was diagnosed after he spoken to ecutesting.com and gave them the DTC codes.
Now I brought the vehicle back home to get the ECU out and send it for testing/repair.
When I got the ECU out it had a sticker on it from another independent ecu testing company from London. I called up the guy this car was purchased from and he confirmed that ecu was sent for testing as his electrician suspected it was at fault. And the testing company found no faults with the unit.
Now that I started to suspect something is not quite right here. Started looking at the wiring loom. On top of the fuse box under the dashboard. I found a bunch of relays which look tampered. I am not sure if this the PGM-F1 relay ???
Does some one have the electrical diagrams for this particular vehicle? All the information I could get is for the American honda Civic and petrol only.
Vehicle still starts okay but stays in limp mode. I am not even sure who to take this car to for putting it right. I am located in birmingham Uk.

Picture of the relay which seems to be bypassed to get car running by previous owner.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1A0A1C5353B1EBED!344

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-02-2013
Registered!!

Re: 2006 Honda Civic 2.2 icdti stuck in limp mode

Just had a word with the company that looked at this ecu before. They confirmed ecu had no faults. Description of work when ecu was sent in was: car won't start, exclamation mark comes up on the dash.
Wondering what would cause that?
Old 04-02-2013
Registered!!

Re: 2006 Honda Civic 2.2 icdti stuck in limp mode

Update

I tried to put back the wires on the relay the way they were supposed to be. And found that the starter motor wont turn.
I have checked the black 12vdc relay and found it working normal with a voltmeter.
It seems that the white wire is suppose to have 12 volts coming in for the relay. Hence someone has bypassed it by using orange cable to supply 12 volts and turn the starter.
Interestingly all these heavy guage wires are going underneath the steering column and there is consistent 12 volts even when key is not inserted on the similar white cable.

Does some one have diagram for fuse box which is under the dash.
While testing fuses I found fuses from number 14 onward had no power. I was using a testing probe.

Thanks