Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

OEM wheel sizes and upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ken4444 is an unknown quantity at this point
OEM wheel sizes and upgrading

I was hoping to swap my factory steel wheels for some nicer looking OEM Honda alloy ones, but I realized the steel wheels are 15" in diameter and the alloy ones are all 17" or greater. Can anyone confirm this is the case? Am I out of luck trying to find 15" factory alloy wheels for a 9th gen Civic?

My hope was to get a different set of OEM wheels on Craigslist, but it looks like if I do that, I'll have to swap tires too.
Old 10-02-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OEM wheel sizes and upgrading

You can go older than 9th gen and you don't have to stick with Civic.

There's an awful lot of 15" Honda and Acura wheels that use the same bolt pattern and will bolt right on. (research first)

Several other manufacturers use the same bolt pattern too, (research well first, hub size and offset are important)

I'm running 18" wheels from an 11-12 Accord V6 Coupe on my 12 Civic LX (original wheels were 15" steel). Pics in profile if you want to see them.

I snagged a set of lightweight Aluminum 15" wheels from a Hybrid and stuck my original tires on them for winter use....although I haven't done it yet, I've been running the 18" all year long since I got them LOL.
Old 10-02-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will widen the search and see if any good looking 15" Honda wheels with the right bolt spacing show up. I'd like to avoid aftermarket wheels because I want to keep the car as stock as possible.
Old 10-02-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You might peruse this thread on the subject (from a different forum) lots of pics

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/whe...ly-please.html
Old 10-02-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You might peruse this thread on the subject (from a different forum) lots of pics

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/whe...ly-please.html
Great thread. Plenty of good choices there. My hope is that as the years pass, more of the stock wheels will start showing up for lower prices, but the risk is that they'll be all scraped up.
Old 10-02-2015

Get some cheap then fill in imperfections (with bondo?) and paint, powdercoat, or plastidip to your liking?
Old 10-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Get some cheap then fill in imperfections (with bondo?) and paint, powdercoat, or plastidip to your liking?
Not a bad idea. The worry is that wheels can have much more intricate surfaces than auto body panels, so it could be tough to make a good looking fix. I guess it really depends on the nature of the damage, and the price of the wheels.

I would probably not spend the money to powder coat a set of banged up and bondo'd wheels, but rattlecan or plastidip might be workable.

I ave not used platidip but I hear good things about it.