Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Compressor Clutch Shims

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicforumguy20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Compressor Clutch Shims

I tackled replacing the air conditioning compressor clutch in my wife's 2010 LX sedan yesterday. Somehow I missed the fact that the shims included in the kit don't work at all. I ordered a kit from Honda, but it won't arrive for 5 days. In the mean time... Can I reinstall everything and just leave the clutch off until the shims arrive? I wish I could make them, but they are paper thin. The factory single shim is just not quite wide enough.
Old 07-28-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Compressor Clutch Shims

the shims included in the kit don't work at all.
How so? What exactly is wrong with them?

The 3 or 4 shims included with a pulley or coil kit are of varying thicknesses and for me have always been plenty sufficient to "dial in" the desired air gap between the clutch plate and the pulley (typical spec is 0.35-0.65mm).

Maybe you somehow didn't get the pulley installed onto the snout of the compressor correctly or completely seated, or got the snap ring upside down? (one inner edge is beveled, bevel must face outward)