Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

white smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jby434 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation white smoke from exhaust

09 Si and white smoke is coming from exhaust. I have heard that it may be about 8 different things. it doesnt do it all the time jsut rarely. it seems like it may be too much oil maybe? anyone else had to problem of too much oil and it blowing white smoke? havent been able to get a good look at smoke cause its always been on a busy-ish road and i am more worried about getting out of the way. does not do it on start up or when it is in neutral only when i am driving and msotly on a upward incline, i tried some fuel injector cleaner and it ran perfect for a few days then did it again about 3 times in 2 days, last time it did it i heard this pop and then it felt like i had maybe 40 hp. if anyone can give any advice i would love to hear it, been really stressing as not being able to use it is affecting my school and work life.
Old 10-30-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: white smoke from exhaust

Could just be normal exhaust condensation burn off.
Any coolant loss?
What does the smoke smell like?

Have someone follow your while driving and do hard acceleations and decelerations..have them note if there's smoke of any sort coming out of tail pipe.
Old 10-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jby434 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: white smoke from exhaust

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Could just be normal exhaust condensation burn off.
Any coolant loss?
What does the smoke smell like?

Have someone follow your while driving and do hard acceleations and decelerations..have them note if there's smoke of any sort coming out of tail pipe.
I will try that tomorrow. Smoke kind of smelt like a burning smell was not strong at all. 1st and last time it smoked it was really thick and had some power loss, middle 2/3 times it was barely for a few seconds and very little smoke with no power loss. So far the main thing it seems to be is some kind of issue with some kind of oil somewhere. Was trying to get a few opinions before I take it to a shop. Also, it has almost 140k miles and I have not personally tuned it up except new spark plugs, oil, (and all the other basic things like brakes etc.)