Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dead Battery, Jumped, Then Air Bag Light On

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILJohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Dead Battery, Jumped, Then Air Bag Light On

Went to grab something out of my 2006 Civic this morning. When I locked it, the horn sounded pretty weak so I figured a battery issue (no lights were left on). When I go home, it was completely dead, no dome/dash lights. The car had sat outside for 4 days, coldest it got was 40 degrees and I put a new battery in it 2 weeks ago. After I jumped it, I let it idle then went for a drive. The battery was dead enough I had to reset the radio code. I took it for a drive and noticed the air bag warning light was on (air bag recall was taken care of about 6 months ago.

Any thoughts on possible issues? Alternator would be one. Would there be any possible connection between the dead battery and air bag light?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dead Battery, Jumped, Then Air Bag Light On

Test battery and alternator first. If the battery charges up ok and passes a test, and alternator passes it's test........

Check for a draw that's draining the battery while it sits.
May have the relay stuck on for the compressor clutch. That can drain a battery overnight.
Old 10-27-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Test battery and alternator first. If the battery charges up ok and passes a test, and alternator passes it's test........

Check for a draw that's draining the battery while it sits.
May have the relay stuck on for the compressor clutch. That can drain a battery overnight.
Thanks. I tried it this morning, lights were good. By the evening absolutely nothing. Going to jump it and take to to Auto Zone and have them check it. Only has 270k miles on it. You'd think they'd make those things to last .
Old 10-27-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

As you carefully connect the last jumper cable, listen for the CLICK of the compressor clutch engaging.

If it clicks, unplug the relay from the fusebox.
Old 10-28-2017
Registered!!

After sitting a couple days had to jump the car again. Air bag light has gone off. Took it to Advance Auto. Their testing showed battery and charging system working fine. He did note it was drawing 1 amp with everything turned off. I realized I did have a phone charger plugged in (no phone on it) which from my reading could cause a bit of a draw, not 1 amp though. I know the alarm, radio memory, etc will draw some, but not that much. Guy at Advance Auto thought a 1 amp draw could be an issue over a few days of the car sitting idle.

Any thoughts on where to look for the culprit?
Old 10-28-2017
Registered!!

When I came home tonight I saw an orange light blinking by the speedometer. Swear I never noticed it before and I've owned the car 11 years. Looking in the manual It's related to the security system, but the references I saw on line talk about a red light by the speedometer. This is definitely orange. My next step is leave the car unlocked to see if the car will start after a day or so.
Old 10-28-2017

Power outlet is not powered when the ignition is off. That cannot be the cause of the draw.

Red blinking light next to the speedo is the factory alarm indicator. Owners manual shows a pic of where it is supposed to be, yes? Orange is probably just faded red.

Most common cause of draw is a sticking compressor clutch relay, see reply #4 above... See if compressor clutch stays engaged when it should not be.

Fold down the back seat so you can see if the trunk light stays on when the lid is closed.

Stick the key all the way in the door lock and make sure it (the cylinder slot) is straight up, not tilted when you pull the key out.

Do you have a low range ammeter?