Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Accessory Belt Tensioner Loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stootz97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Accessory Belt Tensioner Loose

2007 Honda Civic EX 4D Auto 122K miles. My Accessory Belt Tensioner is really loose. I'm not talking about the pulley, i'm talking about the actual tensioner that you put a wrench on to loosen the belt. It's shaking and clicking like crazy. I'm also having a problem with my car jerking/dancing at idle so I'm hoping these are related. I bought a new belt today and going to throw it on even though it seems pretty tight/new. I just bought the car a few months ago so I'm not sure whats been done. I've only seen DIY's for pulley and belt replacement but can't find anything for replacing/tightening the actual tensioner. It's a tight squeeze and looks like I may need to pull some pulleys off to get to it to inspect. Any insight would great. Thanks
Old 07-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accessory Belt Tensioner Loose

i'm talking about the actual tensioner that you put a wrench on to loosen the belt. It's shaking and clicking like crazy.
Is the tensioner assembly (the arm that holds the smooth pulley), is the arm laying sideways? Making grinding noises?
If so, it probably broke the bolt in the center of the pivot.

If it's not laying sideways, if it's just shaking a lot, it could be caused by a bad belt or it might be a failing damper (that little shock absorber looking thing on the end of the tensioner)

Just guessing... You could put the 19mm wrench on the arm and see if it moves easily....it should be quite stiff as that little damper is pretty strong.