Not the Usual A/C Thread - Page 2 - Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Not the Usual A/C Thread

Old 07-03-2017
Honda Repair Newbie...

kwkenuf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Not the Usual A/C Thread

Originally Posted by ezone View Post
Honda sells the pulley and clutch plate as one piece (kit or set), the field coil is sold by itself. Each comes with snap rings needed and the clutch set comes with shims. You will end up with leftovers.

You should not need to order extra shims or snap rings unless you plan on losing them.

Control panel....got a you-pull-it yard nearby?
Sorry, that's what I meant. The two kits combined appear to have a few redundant parts. All good!

We've got a couple pick-a-part places that I may check....
Old 07-03-2017
Honda Repair Newbie...

These are both weird to me. Fans should not run unless or until at least one of the turn on conditions are met.

Again, I'd love to see what this looks like in a live data list on my scanner, that would answer some of my impossible questions LOL

And unplug the HVAC control panel, see if this quits acting wrong.

This makes me think the HVAC panel is bad, sending AC request all the time. Unplug it and see if the fans turn off. This sounds normal.
Well I think we have finally lassoed this pig....

Disco'ed A/C heater control panel, ground disappears from clutch relay and fans stop running when key on, engine off and while engine running. Fans kick on high when engine gets warm. All normal.
Parts on order including control panel. I'll spend the shipping time making sure I have a set of external lock ring pliers that are thin and have a long reach.... I expect the next time you hear from me will be after I've zip tied myself to the wheelwell and been bloodied trying to get the lockrings or pulley removed....

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did you find a thread with some of my pics, pulling the AC clutch on some 06-11 Civic?
Old 07-03-2017
Honda Repair Newbie...

Did you find a thread with some of my pics, pulling the AC clutch on some 06-11 Civic?
Yes I did. Most helpful. I was all over those threads before I started posting. Thanks again for the help. Now on to the long nose thin snap ring pliers search...
Old 08-23-2017
Honda Repair Newbie...

Sorry for the delay, I forgot to update this thread with the repair results. After a week of parts ordering and another couple of weeks doing other things, I finally returned to this repair.
Working thru the wheel well was difficult but not impossible and I was able to disassemble the clutch assy. from the compressor without too much trouble. The problem came when trying to reassemble the clutch. Tried for a couple of hours and could not get the new pulley to slide back over the compressor. Couldn't get it straight or there was a slight dimensional differnence, I don't know. Eventually got frustrated and opted for a compressor removal from the top and replaced the clutch on the bench (I had the A/C tools necessary). MUCH easier and I should have done it that way from the beginning. Ah well, lesson learned. I spent a few moments with some emory cloth and gt the pulley to slide on easily. Shimming it on the bench was also easily done. Popped it back in, started pulling vacuum on the system, replaced the also defective heater/A/C control panel. Serviced the R-12 and voila! Works good, blows cold, daughter happy. Thank you Ezone for all your help! I would have never isolated the A/C panel in conjunction with the bad clutch coil without your assistance. I really appreciate the time you spent helping this Honda Repair Newbie.....
Old 08-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I now notice you're in LVNV, rust must be completely foreign there LOL

I am always hesitant to attempt to unbolt the compressor....I'm in the salt and rust belt and all too often I've been bitten by corrosion problems: I might discover bolts seized/galled/corroded/broken when trying to do what should be a simple nuts and bolts job...I've even had the mounting bracket on the block break apart trying to do this.

Search this Thread