Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Driver door lock doesn't respond to fob/panel button

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phuffine is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Driver door lock doesn't respond to fob/panel button

Hey everyone, about a month ago this started happening:

Driver's door only is unresponsive to all methods of locking and unlocking except for manually moving the inside lock, or using the key in the door.

The master lock/unlock button on the panel does not affect the driver's door lock, but does affect the other three doors.

The fob doesn't lock or unlock the driver's lock. When I hit unlock on the fob, nothing unlocks, no lights come on. When I hit lock, I hear every door EXCEPT driver's door locking. Hit fob twice, alarm honks.

The autolocking when hitting 9mph attempts to function, as I hear the other 3 doors lock, but the driver's door stays unlocked. It continually retries as I go above or below 9mph, so I have to manually lock the physical lock on the driver's door every time I drive, then the auto-lock recognizes that things are locked.

The doors no longer unlock when parking. I have to manually unlock the driver's manual lock every time to get out. The manual open-once-to-unlock, open-twice-to-open-the-door thing doesn't work.

It feels like the driver's door isn't communicating with the rest of the car, and the fob isn't communicating with the driver door. Like the driver door is in some kind of manual-only mode, but the rest of the car has no idea.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thank you!
Old 04-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Driver door lock doesn't respond to fob/panel button

Sounds like the drivers power lock motor is bad....or maybe the wiring for the drivers power lock motor is unplugged. I'd be checking to make sure the system supplies power end ground to run the lock motor first, and then decide if the motor is bad or not.

I looked for pics and found a how-to replace on another site (LINK)
Old 04-26-2017
Registered!!

SIngram is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any danger to opening up the door like that? Not big on electronic components, and I know that getting into doors sometimes runs the risk of disconnecting or affecting other wires.

Heard that sometimes the airbag wires are in there and other connections that you don't want to mess with. Is any of that a concern with Civics?
Old 04-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any danger to opening up the door like that?
The car featured in the link should be exactly like your car. (coupe/sedan doors are constructed about the same, the main difference is how long the door is)

airbag wires
Did you see any mention of anything related to airbags in the door? (nope)

sometimes runs the risk of
No problem if you are careful, and if you need to follow more written instructions check a good service manual.

Is there any danger
I'm sure there could be, if you aren't careful. Don't grab a hammer and chisel on the first trip to the toolbox and you should be ok.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

SIngram is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Puts me at ease.

I start to get a little neurotic when I try something I have never done before on a car.

Appreciate the insight.