Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pomona is an unknown quantity at this point
Blower motor

I have been told that the noise my car makes is the blower motor and that I will need to have it cleaned or replaced down the line. My ac and heat work fine. I took an acorn out of the fan. And this is where my question comes in, if it IS the blower motor, wouldn't it only make the noise when those are turned on? It sounds like a loose wheel.

It started while I was driving for a long period of time, and was loud at first. But has since quieted down. Right now I have the electricity taken off the fan, and it's detached. I was gonna see if it needed more cleaning. Still noisy. I only usually hear it when I start the car and start accelerating. Even when the fans are off.
Old 04-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blower motor

if it IS the blower motor, wouldn't it only make the noise when those are turned on?
Logic = correct. It's not going to make noise if it's not even plugged in.

So where's the noise coming from?

Acorn in fan: Check cabin filter?
Old 04-10-2017
Registered!!

I've already replaced the cabin filter. There were a couple small tears in it.

It seems to be coming from the belt area. And it's not continuous.
Old 04-10-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be coming from the belt area. And it's not continuous.
Seems the fan noise guess was nowhere close?
I have been told that the noise my car makes is the
This often happens when someone comes to the shop and says "my car makes a noise" but we don't get to experience the issue with the customer for whatever reason, or the advisor doesn't ask enough relevant questions.

The tech might jump in the car and hear 10 different things, but the driver is concerned with something entirely different.

i.e. Blower fan may make noise (they often do) but that's not the noise you are concerned with.

When you take it to the shop, you really need to demonstrate the noise you are concerned with to anyone who will be involved (advisor, technician, whomever) so everyone is on the same page with you....... and afterwards, the one who heard it with you can verify it's fixed.

If you want to DIY, give us your cars info so we know what you're working with.
Old 04-10-2017
Registered!!

I'll look into it as it comes and goes. I showed them a vid of the original sound so perhaps that's what they went off of.

My car is an 06 Honda Civic lx.
Old 04-10-2017

Originally Posted by pomona
I showed them a vid of the original sound

My car is an 06 Honda Civic lx.
Ok...Can you post the video?

You say the noise doesn't happen all the time....... can you make the noise happen on demand?

Got any specifics about what you are doing when it makes noise, such as engine RPM, engine temperature, road speed, turning left while waving at friends, ambient temperature, accelerating/steady/coasting/braking, lights and/or AC on, bumpy/wiggly/washboard/moon craters in the road, windows up or down, sipping tea from a cup and saucer (LOL), stuff like that?
Old 04-11-2017
Registered!!

It's seems to show up when I start the car, accelerating and sometimes at idle. When I'm home I'll figure out the video. Hopefully it's nothing too bad. I can't hear it when I'm driving cause I'm also having a loud wheel from apparently a loose wheel bearing that I'm going to have taken care of soon. 2 people have noticed it and told me, and I hear it. I jacked my car to spin the back wheels and there was a little noise from the affected wheel. My car shakes a little too.
Old 04-11-2017

I'm also having a loud wheel from apparently a loose wheel bearing that I'm going to have taken care of soon. 2 people have noticed it and told me, and I hear it. I jacked my car to spin the back wheels and there was a little noise from the affected wheel. My car shakes a little too.
Make sure it's not just the tires that need attention instead of a wheel bearing.
Those cars sometimes develop some choppiness on the inner edges of the rear tire tread causing noises ranging anywhere from "a bit annoying" to "a freekin helicopter flying right over the car".

If someone rotates those choppy tires to the front they get even more annoying.
Old 04-11-2017
Registered!!

Lol. I'm going to have a mechanic do a test drive to confirm or deny this for me.
Old 04-11-2017

Originally Posted by pomona
Lol. I'm going to have a mechanic do a test drive to confirm or deny this for me.
Not all mechanics are good at figuring this stuff out...some might be good at replacing parts but can't accurately diagnose which parts to replace.

I have worked with people who would routinely replace wheel bearings....only to eventually discover the noise was really caused by tires all along. Yes I said routinely, this happened more than once.