Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

quick jerk

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sbeamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Question quick jerk

07 Civic. Coming up to an intersection, almost stopped, but still moving about 1 or 2 mph, if I start to accelerate, I get a quick jerk in the car. Almost like it was in neutral, and then dropped back into gear.????? It never does this from a dead stop.
Has anyone had this happen to you? Where do I start to look?

Last edited by sbeamer; 03-25-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: additional content
Old 03-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: quick jerk

Wildass guess:
While slowing down the trans stays in 2nd gear until almost completely stopped.....then you make a sudden stab on the gas pedal which forces the PCM to make a downshift from 2nd to 1st gear, and that downshift is what you feel.

If you were to gently accelerate from the same rolling 2MPH, it may stay in 2nd gear and not jerk with a downshift.

Was I right? What do I win?
Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Wildass guess:
While slowing down the trans stays in 2nd gear until almost completely stopped.....then you make a sudden stab on the gas pedal which forces the PCM to make a downshift from 2nd to 1st gear, and that downshift is what you feel.

If you were to gently accelerate from the same rolling 2MPH, it may stay in 2nd gear and not jerk with a downshift.

Was I right? What do I win?
That about sums it up. What do I do to fix it?
Old 03-26-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sbeamer
That about sums it up. What do I do to fix it?
If my guess was indeed correct and this is normal operation for the situation you put it in, you will have to either change your expectations or change your driving habits.

The reaction to specific input parameters is programmed into the PCM, you can't change it.

Roll onto the gas pedal less abruptly?
Old 03-27-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If my guess was indeed correct and this is normal operation for the situation you put it in, you will have to either change your expectations or change your driving habits.

The reaction to specific input parameters is programmed into the PCM, you can't change it.

Roll onto the gas pedal less abruptly?
my driving didn't change. The car started doing this. and it only does it about 95% of the time. So, if you don't know,why are you wasting my time?
Old 03-27-2017

Originally Posted by sbeamer
my driving didn't change. The car started doing this. and it only does it about 95% of the time.
Oh. Then your car may be broken.

So, if you don't know,why are you wasting my time?
I didn't realize you are afflicted with PSS.
I'll send your mother a sympathy card on your birthday.
Old 03-28-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

My current '95 EX coupe does this.
The '97 (auto) and '98 (manual) EX coupes I've owned in the past five years did it as well.

Check the front lower (torque) mounts..they are probably shot. I filled one those mounts in with silicone caulk on the '97 and reduced the jerking but caused increased steering wheel and frame vibration.

"So, if you don't know,why are you wasting my time?"
OP: Ezone is one of the most knowledgeable mechanics you'll find on any Honda related forum sites.