Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2009 civic ex start issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
typatrickposton is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 civic ex start issue

2009 civic has good battery and power to all electrical inside car. But sometimes when attempting to crank I get one click (not a "clicking" just one click) and everything shuts off. So i get out and wiggle the battery cables and then things come back on and most times it starts right up after that. Any ideas what this could be? seems to happen more in winter. Anything ruled out already by what I have described here? Seems to not be an issue with the battery or the starter since it starts up great sometimes. Or could it be an issue with the starter?
Thanks for all your help

Last edited by typatrickposton; 02-27-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2017
Registered!!

prplglide is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2009 civic ex start issue

Since you wiggle the battery cables and it works, you sort of answered your own question.

If it keeps doing it, please look at this thread:https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-starting.html

I'm really suspecting my starter at this point, because it seems to be a fairly common issue with Civics.
Old 02-27-2017
Registered!!

So are you saying it is a starter issue since when I wiggle the battery cable it works? Or is it just a battery cable issue?
Old 02-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typatrickposton
So are you saying it is a starter issue
Nope, because that's not where you said you touched it.

since when I wiggle the battery cable it works?
Or is it just a battery cable issue?
Cable, cable clamp, poor connection(s) in the area you wiggled. Clean and shiny metal is necessary for good electrical contacts.

Another common issue is corrosion and rust where the neg cable bolts to the body.
Old 02-28-2017
Registered!!

Great thank you!