Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

08 Honda Civic Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leadhead is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Honda Civic Ignition Problems

The ignition gave out in my civic so I replaced it with another one from another car. The car starts but only for a second and shuts off. In the instrument cluster there's a green light in the shape of a key. Honda told me I need to bring the car to them so they can program the ignition to the car's computer. Is there another way around that, that I can do myself?
Old 11-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 08 Honda Civic Ignition Problems

Removed duplicate post.

No DIY.
Immobilizer MUST be programmed with proper scanner equipment.
Dealership of course can always do it.
Maybe: well equipped locksmith, or well equipped independent shop. (call first, ask if they can program an immobilizer system and explain what you did)

Take all of the keys that match the new lock, all of them need to be programmed at the same time.

Would have been simpler to retumble the original lock? I do it all the time.
Only catch is, sometimes the key(s) is so worn out it has to be replaced at the same time (and programmed).

You could take your original lock------ Remove the immobilizer ring from it, connect it to the car wiring, drop an original key into it, and start the engine. Drive it to the dealership..... That would save you a tow truck bill.