Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

Backlight on Clock/Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChrisCivic97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Backlight on Clock/Radio Problem

So I have a manual 2008 Honda Civic coupe. I'm having problems with the back light on the clock. My clock is blue and when I turn the car on sometimes it goes dark, as if the back light isn't on. But then it comes on sometimes (it's random). I want it to stay the same brightness all the time but it keeps changing brightness automatically like there's some type of light sensor? Also, I have noticed when I put it in reverse and start moving it dims as though I'm close to stalling the car, which I'm not.. also sometimes it flickers. I've done a bunch of research and I can't find the solution so I'm asking for help on here. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Backlight on Clock/Radio Problem

Tap on the radio.
If the display backlight brightness changes with vibration, the issue should be inside the radio.
Seems like this issue has been discussed somewhere around here before.
Old 11-22-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Tap on the radio.
If the display backlight brightness changes with vibration, the issue should be inside the radio.
Seems like this issue has been discussed somewhere around here before.
I tried tapping but it had no effect. Could it be a fuse? Electrical? Thanks for the response!
Old 11-22-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the display backlight is affected, then the problem is probably internal to the radio itself.
(could be poor solder joints, but I've never opened up one of these to investigate)

Dealer would send the radio in for repair.

You might have someone local that does radio repairs.
Ask your other local car dealers if they have someone local they send broken radios to, or look in a phone book.

I know a guy in my town that does only factory radios, his specialty is GM radios but will do almost any OE radio. Won't touch aftermarket radios at all.
Old 11-22-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If the display backlight is affected, then the problem is probably internal to the radio itself.
(could be poor solder joints, but I've never opened up one of these to investigate)

Dealer would send the radio in for repair.

You might have someone local that does radio repairs.
Ask your other local car dealers if they have someone local they send broken radios to, or look in a phone book.

I know a guy in my town that does only factory radios, his specialty is GM radios but will do almost any OE radio. Won't touch aftermarket radios at all.
Thanks a lot for your help. I'll post on here what the solution is. Dealership appointment tomorrow! Best regards.
Old 11-23-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

A lot of 8ths have had all the audio unit lights go out at same time......never heard of one doing this.

If the lines for the lamps power, and the control line (dimming line) are in tact they will say replace audio unit.
Old 11-23-2016
Honda Maniac!

Carbuff2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've replaced radio lightbulbs...

One lamp will go out but the user can still see the display. When they all go out, THAT'S when you need to act.
Old 11-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Based on what the dealer says it may be good excuse for an audio system upgrade, not a real fun job laying on your back on the floor with your head up under the dash. You can compare audio performance and costs of after market versus OEM.
Old 10-26-2019
Registered!!

jms1104 is an unknown quantity at this point

My problem is somewhat similar. The radio lights on my 2012 Honda Civic go out. The radio still functions. If I remove the positive battery cable for a few minutes, and then re-attach it, viola, the lights are back on. Until they go out again. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have a solution?
Old 05-16-2020
Registered!!

mustfirst is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with my civic 2007. Anyone has a solution?
Old 05-16-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mustfirst
I have the same problem with my civic 2007. Anyone has a solution?
The other temporary fix is to remove the radio fuse for a few minutes and then reinsert it. Viola, the lights are back on. Unfortunately, the go out again and the process has to be repeated.
The following users liked this post:
mustfirst (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020
Registered!!

mustfirst is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jms1104
The other temporary fix is to remove the radio fuse for a few minutes and then reinsert it. Viola, the lights are back on. Unfortunately, the go out again and the process has to be repeated.
Thanks for the reply. Which one is exactly the radio fuse?
Old 05-17-2020
Registered!!

Well, in my 2012 Civic LX it is the very first 10 A fuse at the front of the fuse box in the engine compartment. It is the small fuse in the center row of fuses directly behind the front attachment of the cover.
Old 05-17-2020

Disconnecting one battery cable might be easier?