Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Using Diesel Fuel to unclog transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suzyannnchong is an unknown quantity at this point
Using Diesel Fuel to unclog transmission

Has anyone ever tried using diesel fuel to unclog a transmission to unstick the the clutch ?
Old 08-08-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Using Diesel Fuel to unclog transmission

NO.....Hell no.
What's the real problem here?

Clutch in a manual trans? What is stuck and how?
Hydraulic system parts will be ruined by petroleum products (diesel, oil, etc.).

Did the clutch fluid leak out? Find and fix the leak. Refill with DOT3 brake fluid and bleed air from the system.
Old 08-08-2016
Registered!!

the problem is , I took my car to a service station to get my fluids checked , I didn't have any transmission fluid so the guy suggested I let him put some in there the car was running while he put the transmission fluid in the first mistake was that they put the wrong transmission fluid in and the guy acted as if he didn't know what he was doing , the car wouldn't go it would go into different gears but it would move just idle , so they removed the transmission fluid and tryed again still wouldn't work .

Someone suggested that if you put a little bit of diesel in the transmission hole where you put the transmission fluid to flush it and unclog my clutches or gears that's inside of the transmission and replace my strainer
Old 08-08-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

So the transmission worked before you went to said service station and now it won't after they put the wrong fluid in?

Fuel does not belong in the transmission!
Old 08-08-2016
Registered!!

That's correct , we're not going to put gallons just enough to try to unclog the build up cause can't you use brake fluid as well ?
Old 08-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Post #1 and #3 indicate whomever touched your car had no clue what proper procedures are, made multiple mistakes, never bothered to check published service information to find standard procedures, and any small claims court judge would probably decide that this shop now owes you a properly operating transmission.

Based on the above, I would never trust nor allow said shop to install that transmission, I'd make them cover all expenses (including tow truck fees) for a real Honda dealership to replace the transmission correctly with a factory authorized remanufactured transmission, complete with 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

Also, another HELL NO on the brake fluid.