Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Honda Civic AC Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Pfeiffer is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Honda Civic AC Issue

My daughter has a 2007 Honda Civic. It has an AC issue, when you drive it for one hour (say on a trip) the AC stops working. Just warm air. I have talked to other Civic owners and they also had the issue.

I called the local Honda dealer (Streater-Smith) and they have never heard of this before.

Is any one familiar with this issue?

Are they some talking points I can tell them about this issue so I could be more informed? They would have to drive the car for one hour for it to go into this mode.

Thanks for any information
Old 06-10-2016
cj1
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cj1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2007 Honda Civic AC Issue

Find an independent A/C tech who is willing to troubleshoot intermittent problems.
He may be able to idle it for whatever time it takes to act up or he could stress mechanical/electrical connections/relays to uncover intermittent problem.
Old 06-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

The shop you select should use a leak trace dye to pin point the source of the leak if there is one. Look at your AC hoses, if you have an oily looking one that is likely the problem, I just got my bottom AC hose replaced and the mentioned test is what they did after replacing it to make sure all leaks were corrected.
Old 06-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a leak problem, and this should be real simple to figure out if one is willing to do some testing while the system is inoperable.

Relay, coil, or clutch gap.
Old 07-03-2016
Registered!!

06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Please explain, I haven't worked on AC systems much. How are these tests done, continuity and physical measurements?
Old 07-04-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
Please explain, I haven't worked on AC systems much. How are these tests done, continuity and physical measurements?
Power to the clutch coil, and resistance of that coil use a volt-ohm meter, and feeler gauges or dial indicator for clearance checks. I prefer the dial indicator because worn surfaces aren't flat and it seems to make feelers difficult to use.

See this thread for pics n stuff: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/365013-ac-overcharged-2.html#post4691850
Old 07-15-2016
Registered!!

Wow, quite the involved job, how long did that take you and what was the customer charge? I'd probably be 3X time for me doing this the 1st time. Thanks for the detailed response. Could the referenced shop manager actually do this, doubtful? Just thoroughly reading this post is a good example of why people should seriously respect a good Mechanic, as I do.
Old 07-15-2016

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
Wow, quite the involved job, how long did that take you and what was the customer charge?
I don't remember either, and I rarely pay attention to what the customer is billed.

I'll guess it might have taken me a bit over an hour doing it that way, but if everything hadn't been 'just so', it could easily take a lot more time and effort.

Labor might be anywhere from 2.5x-5x shop door labor rate, depending on who is figuring it up and what labor guide they are using.

I just looked at 2 guides, the figures I see are screwed up. Not accurate IMO, someone gets shafted on this job...usually the tech.

Could the referenced shop manager actually do this, doubtful?
Depends®

I think almost everything can be DIY if one has the time, tools and talent to do the work. Some people think otherwise.

Just thoroughly reading this post is a good example of why people should seriously respect a good Mechanic, as I do
Thanks.

Too many people try to devalue what some of us do on the daily.
Dilberts pointy haired boss: "If I don't understand it, it must be simple."