Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2009 Civic No start/no crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mproost is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Civic No start/no crank

Hello everyone-

My 2009 Civic LX-S has an issue I cannot figure out. A little while ago my car seemed like the battery(3.5 years old at the time) was weak and the car started hard. So, I got a new replacement battery and the car seemed OK, but then a few starts later it stranded me in the Costco parking lot and barely started when hooked up to a jump box. I got a new battery and it started twice on its own and then needed to be jumped and barely started. It started once more and then would barely turn over but not start again even when jumping it. The battery was testing low voltage on my basic multi meter. I replaced the battery again and the car will not turn over when attempting to start it with the jump box or on its own. The voltage drop is almost 2 volts when the key goes to the start position.

I have done the basics checked all battery connections etc. Where do I look from here?

I am thinking starter or solenoid, can someone point me to an easy way to test that? I would prefer not to go to the dealer.

Thank you!

Matt
Old 04-01-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Civic No start/no crank

Your descriptions are kinda vague to me, so I'll say that many people have had to replace their starters.

Starter and starter circuits can be tested (sometimes not easily) before you take it off the car.
You can use a heavy duty ammeter and voltmeter (V.A.T. tester?) to evaluate, if you know what you are doing.
Or remove it and have it checked.

Aftermarket remans are about 80% crap.