Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

~need help loud ticking coming from front end~

Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dapa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ~need help loud ticking coming from front end~

Originally Posted by ezone
Is the power steering fluid really low?
Is the belt wet with oil?
Using your stethoscope, where did you determine the noise was the loudest?
Was it rear ended hard enough to hit the engine?
Do you really think getting rear ended could cause these issues on the other end of the car?
not to sure man im sure it could happen i was plowed right threw an intersection car was in gear car shut off and struggled to start after getting hit then few days later i noticed this ticking sound then noticed the oil leaking
Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
i don't really hear anything out of the ordinary in that video
its ticking loud i know hondas tick i know my car video is hard to tell i guess but its ticking more then usual leaking oil and there is no oil on the belt , power steering is fine it is not leaking just loss of oil

Last edited by dapa; 12-22-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

VTEC solenoid and the oil pressure switch are close to the power steering pump, maybe one of those is leaking onto it?
Those would not make noise though.

How rapid is your loss of oil?
Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

hmm the oil pressure switch is this plastic ? i noticed something near the power steering pump a black hose with a black plastic it looks like where the oil starts leaking from

my loss of oil is not bad i dont think im trying not to drive it but the sound of the tick scares me .... its not a knock its more of a ticking and as the RPMS go up the tick gets faster ... what does the vtec solenoid do ? i tested to see if i have vacume threw pvc changed it etc all good but i dunno ..... like what do u think honda will charge me just to diagnos the problem ? its really hard area to geto i can only see on phone recording ... or if i took the wheel off i might be able to get to it im trying to find specs on the internet of the motor but where the problem is i cant seem to find any pics

thanks so much for replying will be happy to hear from u

edit when im driving it sounds like a sewing machine
Old 12-22-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Name:  VqHH12V.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  376.8 KBHere is a pic of the back of an R18 engine, steering pump not installed
Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

Here is a pic of the back of an R18 engine, steering pump not installed
hmm hard to tell
Old 12-22-2015

Fuel injectors constantly tick the entire time the engine is running.....and Hondas are supposed to sound like a sewing machine LOL
Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

Fuel injectors constantly tick the entire time the engine is running.....and Hondas are supposed to sound like a sewing machine LOL
lol my honda sounds better then a lambo :O

well not atm but normally >
Old 01-03-2016
Registered!!

anyone else?
Old 01-17-2016
Registered!!

still need help ! !
Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

Ok so it was leaking on the tensioner case cover got that fixed but
It is still ticking should I get valve adjustment done ??? Let me know guys thanks a lot for help
Old 01-26-2016

Originally Posted by dapa
Ok so it was leaking on the tensioner case cover got that fixed but
It is still ticking should I get valve adjustment done ??? Let me know guys thanks a lot for help
That cover seems quite a bit lower than where you were describing in earlier posts.

What did your mechanic say about the ticking noise?
Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

That cover seems quite a bit lower than where you were describing in earlier posts.

What did your mechanic say about the ticking noise?
Hmm not to sure tensioner chain case cover ? I may b wrong I'll read the paper tomorrow

Two guys from the Honda dealer said valve adjustment but they want way to much to do it so its at a local shop they are going to do the valve adjustment tomorrow
Old 01-26-2016

Tensioner cover is a small plate with 3 bolts located a little higher than the crank pulley. It's common for that to need a re-seal, but it mostly just makes a mess down the bottom of the cover and bottom of the engine.
Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

Tensioner cover is a small plate with 3 bolts located a little higher than the crank pulley. It's common for that to need a re-seal, but it mostly just makes a mess down the bottom of the cover and bottom of the engine.
Oh ok cool thanks man !!

And about the fast ticking u think valve adjustment will do it ?
Old 01-26-2016

Oh ok cool thanks man !!

And about the fast ticking u think valve adjustment will do it ?
I have no way of knowing from where I sit. Try it and see.
Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

I have no way of knowing from where I sit. Try it and see.
True true tick is coming from top end sounds like valves so Honda says I will let u know tomorrow thanks again
Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

Ok so I got the valves adjusted tick is still there .... It's coming from the top what else could this be ? Bad valves ?? I'm lost I don't know what to do just keep spending money for someone to tell me it's not what it is ?? Please help guys thanks so much
Old 01-27-2016

just keep spending money for someone to tell me it's not what it is ??
Send me your credit card numbers and I'll tell you it's normal.
Turn the radio volume up a bit.

In all seriousness, listen to a few other identical cars and compare. They aren't perfectly quiet.
Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

Send me your credit card numbers and I'll tell you it's normal.
Turn the radio volume up a bit.

In all seriousness, listen to a few other identical cars and compare. They aren't perfectly quiet.
I know my car something is seriously wrong but I guess these guys don't know anything and just guess one guy told me buttom bearing mean while its top end noise and other guy tells me valves need to be adjusted so got that done nothing still
Old 01-27-2016

I just watched your video again. In the last couple seconds where you pull the phone out away from the engine, it sounds fairly normal to me.
I also saw the post where I mentioned the tensioner cover leaks, among some other common leak points (post 10).

Wanna make another video that better captures this ticking noise you hear?
Listen to the video yourself before posting, make sure the noise is readily apparent to everyone that will hear it.

Have you bought or fabricated a stethoscope so you can pinpoint the noise source?

When you took it to your mechanic, did you demonstrate the noise so everyone knows exactly what your issue is?
Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

I'll make a new video for you the leak is all fixed now it's been to 3 mechanics one said lower bearing but it's not a knock it's a tick sound for sure and it's coming from the top , other one said valve adjustment so I did that and still the same ticking sound so I brang it to one more guy he said adjust the valves I told him I just had them adjusted 3 hours ago ,
And about the stethoscope I have not used one everyone says sound like valve train , but now I remember when I had the old leak I checked my oil and I had to add two quarts to this have caused something to burn out / break in the valve train ? The guy who adjusted the valves said he didn't see anything unsual when he did them
Thanks for the reply ezone I'll make some videos for you tomorrow in daylight , I notice when idle very slow tick tick then 2-3k rpm u can really hear it fast and when I'm going faster in gear 5-6k rpm it's super fast .... My cuzin said to me I can keep spending money but it could not solve the problem he wants to look at the car he does this kind of work but lives really far
Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5R2...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by dapa; 01-27-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2016

but now I remember when I had the old leak I checked my oil and I had to add two quarts to this have caused something to burn out / break in the valve train ?
Starting around 17 seconds the noise seems to be pretty clear and get loud.

2 quarts of oil is a lot for that engine.
Has it been making this noise ever since it was run low on oil?

Knock noise is louder during light acceleration, if you hold throttle steady around 2000-3000 RPM in neutral it's really rattling?
*Noise disappears (or nearly so) during deceleration?

If you get someone to hold throttle at 2000 or whatever RPM makes it loud, one can disable cylinders one at a time (unplug ignition coil for each cylinder) and note any changes in knocking noise.
If disabling a particular cylinder causes the noise to make a drastic change or stop completely, note it.
Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

This noise started when I was low on oil yes

Yes around 2-3k rpm it's so fast it's like rattling
Noise will disapears or nearly so during dececeleration yes
The one guy I brang it to do that plug test where u take off the coils but he didn't rev it just idle and he said it wasn't a bearing was deff top valve train noise he recommend me to take it to Honda for the valve adjustment but they want way to much that's why I went to the other guy .... But when I get time I'm gonna take it to my cuzin and he's gonna put the stethoscope on it and pin point the right location thanks again for the reply let me know what u think
Old 01-27-2016

This noise started when I was low on oil yes
That's bad

Yes around 2-3k rpm it's so fast it's like rattling
That's bad
Noise will disapears or nearly so during dececeleration yes
That's bad

The one guy I brang it to do that plug test where u take off the coils but he didn't rev it just idle
Read my post again, the engine RPM MUST be held high enough to produce the noise loud and consistent in order for this test to be of value for figuring out the noise.

and he said it wasn't a bearing was deff top valve train noise he recommend me to take it to Honda for the valve adjustment but they want way to much that's why I went to the other guy .... But when I get time I'm gonna take it to my cuzin and he's gonna put the stethoscope on it and pin point the right location thanks again for the reply let me know what u think
I think between the low oil event and the noise, it's probably got lower bearing problems.
This is where an experienced ear is needed--in person.

IF a connecting rod bearing is mashed out flat, completely missing or has rolled or spun one of its shells just right, the piston can make contact with the cylinder head producing an extremely loud knock that SOUNDS like it's in the upper end of the engine.....which it is, but the actual cause is in the bottom end.

The test above with disabling cylinders ..... if it's a single connecting rod bearing bad, noise will change and it should be pretty easy to tell there's a big change....if it's only one bearing.
If it's 2 or more it may be harder to discern a difference.
If it's so bad it's allowing a piston to contact the cylinder head, it again may be real hard to tell a difference.
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

Oh ok cool I will try that but my question it's not a knock it's a tick ? And 3 mechanics said no way it's a bearing including Honda they said valves but the one guy said bearing ? I'm wondering if he didn't adjust them right ? Not saying u are wrong but ya ! Anyways I will let u know when I got an update

And also when I first start my car when cold there is no ticking .
Only starts when car warms up

Last edited by dapa; 01-28-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

got another question for you ezone ... So when my motor is cold it sounds perfectly ok but when my motor is warm I start hearing the problem ?

Last edited by dapa; 01-28-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2016

Valvetrain noise (valve clearance noise) will not change in intensity (loudness) during acceleration or deceleration. This noise will always stay consistent with engine RPM, never varying with and completely unaffected by load (acceleration and deceleration).

Bearing noise, piston noise, and most other 'bottom end' issues will typically vary in intensity with load (during acceleration and deceleration) at any given RPM.

Noise vs temperature: Oil is less viscous when hot.
The cold engine oil is 'thicker' and cushions the excessive bearing clearance...until it heats up and becomes thinner.

When there are bearing problems (excessive clearance), they can be quiet while the engine OIL is cold, and become more prevalent and obvious as the oil is warmed and becomes thinner.

Like Hersheys chocolate syrup is pretty thick when you keep it in the fridge, but after you heat it up in the microwave it's really thin and runny.
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

Valvetrain noise (valve clearance noise) will not change in intensity (loudness) during acceleration or deceleration. This noise will always stay consistent with engine RPM, never varying with and completely unaffected by load (acceleration and deceleration).

Bearing noise, piston noise, and most other 'bottom end' issues will typically vary in intensity with load (during acceleration and deceleration) at any given RPM.

Noise vs temperature: Oil is less viscous when hot.
The cold engine oil is 'thicker' and cushions the excessive bearing clearance...until it heats up and becomes thinner.

When there are bearing problems (excessive clearance), they can be quiet while the engine OIL is cold, and become more prevalent and obvious as the oil is warmed and becomes thinner.

Like Hersheys chocolate syrup is pretty thick when you keep it in the fridge, but after you heat it up in the microwave it's really thin and runny.
thanks man ! car is going to my cuzins house on sunday we are gonna try to figure out this problem . he has all the tools and stethocope he seems to think its intake manifold swirl flaps ? what do u think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ~need help loud ticking coming from front end~