Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible VTEC oil sensor bad. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigsby08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible VTEC oil sensor bad. Please help!

I have a 2008 civic lx 4dr 1.8 and am the original owner. A few days ago my check engine light came on and after driving for approximately 5 mins the transmission indicator light (AT transmission) starts to blink. I had the dealer look at it and they said it could be the vtec solenoid/oil pressure sensor.

The symptoms are
1. Check engine light on
2. Will not rev or accelerate past 3500 rpm.
3. Tranny light blinks
4. Shifts hard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I believe it's either the vtec solenoid or some type of tranny sensor.
Old 02-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible VTEC oil sensor bad. Please help!

What is the code?

Nobody can tell you a darn thing without knowing the fault code(s).

Blinking "D" light indicates there will be a trans related fault code.

What exactly did the dealer say, and why didn't you have them fix it?
Does the engine have sufficient oil in it?
Same for the trans?

Wanna play a game?
I know all the parts in the car, I can guess for days.
Let's see what the real code really means, instead of guessing.
Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

I didn't have the dealer fix it because I like to do my own maintenence and the dealer said the code was for the oil pressure sensor but wasn't sure if that was the problem. That being said I wasn't sure if anybody on here would know about this.
Old 02-06-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the dealer said the code was for the oil pressure sensor but wasn't sure if that was the problem.
I sure hope you didn't PAY for such an incomplete diagnosis (guess?)
That being said I wasn't sure if anybody on here would know about this.
Need more info as already stated in the previous post.

Go to a big-box parts store and see if they will read the codes. Write down the code number(s) (and they better be in the standard Pxxxx format for OBD2). Get the Freeze Frame data too, write it all down. Repost here.
Old 02-06-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rigsby08
I didn't have the dealer fix it because I like to do my own maintenence and the dealer said the code was for the oil pressure sensor but wasn't sure if that was the problem. That being said I wasn't sure if anybody on here would know about this.
If you like doing your own maintenance, I'd recommend buying your own OBD-II scanner, just so you don't have to waste your time with "Well, uh, the code is for this, but I have no idea what's going on, so here's a monkey wearing a tutu" from the dealership. I think I picked mine up for like $50, and even though it only reads what code, I have internet access, so I can always google it and/or post onto the forum and have other internet people help diagnose it.
Old 02-06-2013

so here's a monkey wearing a tutu"
I'm sitting in the break room and just LOL'd out loud. Got looks.
Old 02-06-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
I'm sitting in the break room and just LOL'd out loud. Got looks.
My work here is done
Old 02-08-2013
Registered!!

The error codecs P0522, rocker arm pressure sensor low voltage.
Old 02-08-2013

Did anyone ERASE the code to see how long it stays gone? Maybe this was a just fluke.......(or not).

Without more data and a scanner that can actually read the values as seen by the PCM....and not knowing what your tooling or abilities might be......

AND I don't recall having had to diagnose one for that exact code in the recent past...

No info bulletins about that P0522 code.

No clue why that would make the D light flash, and I'm real sure the P0522 code alone can't cause that. There may be another code lurking for that D light. I don't want to speculate on what your dealer people did or didn't do.....but you know I already guessed.

The computer had to see an VTEC EOP value of 0.18v or less for more than 2 seconds in order to set this code.

You can investigate the oil pressure sensor that is attached to the VTEC valve assembly.

Mice ate the wires? Common thing here.

I would be using a scanner to read values, then maybe checking wiring and PCM data response to some manual inputs through that connection. Then make some decision about what to do next.
Guess: Toss a VTEC EOP sensor at it, see what happens. Don't cuss me if it doesn't solve the problem.