Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coils misfiring? Help!!

Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IsabellaS is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Coils misfiring? Help!!

This has been the worst nightmare I could imagine with a car. About a month and a half ago, my 06 Honda Civic Coupe stalled at a red light. After getting it to start up again it, I drove it to my destination, where it stalled once more. The next day I took it to be diagnosed, and was informed that my 2nd ignition coil was misfiring. I took it to my mechanic, who replaced the coil. Upon driving it, I had no power when I pushed the gas and was afraid it would stall again. Took it back to the mechanic, who eventually long story short replaced all the spark plugs, all the coils and even the radiator because my car over heated! Due to the over heating, the head gasket was shot as well as other pieces inside the engine. Took it to honda and they suggested getting a new engine because that would be cheaper. Sucks, but OK i did what i was suggested. Found an engine with 18,000 miles for 850 dollars...took my mechanic a long time to put it in but I finally got the car back last friday. Car was running great until 2 days ago when the check engine light came on and I had no power. Apparently the coils were misfiring again! He replaced them, and they are still misfiring. With an almost brand new engine, I can't imagine what or why these coils are still misfiring. What could the problem be?!?
Old 11-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coils misfiring? Help!!

When the engine is replaced the CKP learn procedure needs to be completed. When the engine is replaced the crankshaft in the new engine will be slightly different and the PCM can interpret this as misfiring.