Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Emergency break won't work after maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic2007nice is an unknown quantity at this point
Emergency break won't work after maintenance

Hello,

I had my 2007 Honda Civic serviced at my local Honda dealership about a month ago. I had a transmission flush, new breaks pad on the front wheels/rotor machined on front break system, the back breaks were cleaned, and a complete break fluid flush. I recently tried to use the park break and it will not engage, there is no tension, and it does not hold. The emergency break light that indicates the break is lit up engaged when I pull on the handle, but the handle does not hold in position-it feels very loose. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow, as I think something they did caused this. Any thoughts on what maybe causing this? The park break worked before I got the servicing.

Thank you
Old 11-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Emergency break won't work after maintenance

If you have rear brake shoes, it is possible that they are misadjusted.
Old 11-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civic2007nice
Hello,

I had my 2007 Honda Civic serviced at my local Honda dealership about a month ago. I had a transmission flush, new breaks pad on the front wheels/rotor machined on front break system, the back breaks were cleaned, and a complete break fluid flush. I recently tried to use the park break and it will not engage, there is no tension, and it does not hold. The emergency break light that indicates the break is lit up engaged when I pull on the handle, but the handle does not hold in position-it feels very loose. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow, as I think something they did caused this. Any thoughts on what maybe causing this? The park break worked before I got the servicing.

Thank you
Take it back to the shop IMMEDIATELY.
More than likely the tech screwed something up.

Comes to mind:
Cables left unhooked,
wrong procedure to reset the pistons in the rear calipers,
didn't check their work before calling the job done,
something.

Quite rare to have any real handbrake problems on something that new, although it is not unheard of...Damaged cable from road debris?
Old 11-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Brakes, not breaks.

Sticks break.
Brakes stop.