Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rough Idle when car stopped ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whiteazn is an unknown quantity at this point
Rough Idle when car stopped ...

Whenever I drive my car around, and I get to a light, and stop, the car tends to have a rough idle. It feels like the car/engine/steering wheel shakes. And it seems that only the driver feels it. I have other people in the car, and they do not feel it they say. But when they drive it, they will notice it. So it is not rough enough to really feel it, but as the driver, it starts to get annoying after all this time.

It *usually* only happens when the car has warmed up, so it is not when the engine is cold. Also, if I slightly hit the accelerator pedal, it goes away (keep foot on break, and just slightly hit the acc pedal, the vibration goes away, or if I put in neutral and hit the accelerator pedal, same thing, the vibration goes away). This happens in gear, neutral, or in park (haven't checked in reverse).

I have taken it to the dealer, and they replaced the engine mounts, but that didn't fix it. They told me to put better gas in it (I just fill up at Costco), but even with Chevron premium, made no difference. I had my dad check it out, and he said it might be a timing issue (not sure if he meant belt or maybe something with the ECU or whatever?) or maybe I should check spark plugs.

Any other ideas what it might be? I won't have a chance to take it in to the dealer till next week. But hoping to get some ideas on what it might be.

Edit: 2009 Honda Civic LX-S, Auto, 4dr
Old 04-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rough Idle when car stopped ...

Is your issue a low RPM problem, or a vibration problem, or a noise, or what?

Compare with another identical car before you condemn yours.

"Better gas" does not mean higher octane. Higher octane fuel is harder to burn. You needed a more reliable quality fuel, of the proper 87 octane.
Read up: http://www.toptiergas.com/

Read this thread, see if you gain any helpful info:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...w-seconds.html

HTH
Old 04-13-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Is your issue a low RPM problem, or a vibration problem, or a noise, or what?

Compare with another identical car before you condemn yours.

"Better gas" does not mean higher octane. Higher octane fuel is harder to burn. You needed a more reliable quality fuel, of the proper 87 octane.
Read up: http://www.toptiergas.com/

Read this thread, see if you gain any helpful info:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...w-seconds.html

HTH
I don't know what is considered a low RPM problem. What is the normal RPM when at idle? I will update this when I go back and check what my RPM is at idle.

But I believe it is a vibration problem. There is no noise associated with this at all, and I don't hear anything out of the norm at all ever.

I don't know anyone else with a civic, so not sure if this is considered normal? (not sure who else I would compare it to).

I will try out the idle relearn. My vibration is a constant vibration for the most part. it'll vibrate more when I put it in neutral from drive (vibration gets more pronounced, then goes back to the 'normal' vibration). But I will try out the vibration this weekend and hope that fixes it.

Edit:

Idle RPM cold engine: 1k or 1.1k RPM
Idle RPM warm engine: 600-650 RPM

It seems that when I get the car warm, and I get to a light, when it drops to the 600 RPM, the vibration starts.

Last edited by whiteazn; 04-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what is considered a low RPM problem. What is the normal RPM when at idle?

You have had the car for how long?
There is a tach right in front of you.
You should know better than I, where it normally was prior to this problem you describe.

But I believe it is a vibration problem. There is no noise associated with this at all, and I don't hear anything out of the norm at all ever.

Ok, what shakes then?

I don't know anyone else with a civic, so not sure if this is considered normal? (not sure who else I would compare it to).

There should be used cars on your dealers lot. Test drive one. Most dealers and service department people should be ok with using one or two for comparison purposes.Did you DEMONSTRATE YOUR CONCERNS to your dealer service tech, or did you just tell them it vibrated and you left? You have to show the people what your issue is!! Take the guy for a brief ride!

I will try out the idle relearn.

If this isn't an RPM issue, it probably won't make any difference.

My vibration is a constant vibration for the most part. it'll vibrate more when I put it in neutral from drive (vibration gets more pronounced, then goes back to the 'normal' vibration). But I will try out the vibration this weekend and hope that fixes it.

Procedure called "neutralize engine mounts" comes to mind. Someone needs to make sure it isn't normal first, though.
Old 04-15-2012
Registered!!

You have had the car for how long?
There is a tach right in front of you.
You should know better than I, where it normally was prior to this problem you describe.

I have had the car for little over 1 year now (bought certified used in Feb 2011). I have done the maintenance on it through the dealer. I honestly don't remember what the RPMs was before I noticed this. It has been doing this since I started drivingn the car. Didn't really notice it at the dealer test drive, though, didn't exactly drive around for 15 minutes. And I didn't drive the car at first as it was my then wife's ride for work, and which I got after we split up last july. When I started driving it regularly after then, is when I really noticed it. So I am not sure what the RPMs were like before then.

Ok, what shakes then?

It almost as if the whole car vibrates. I can mainly feel it though through the steering wheel and the center armrest/console. I just put my hand on the steering wheel, and rest my arm on the armrest and can feel the vibration. As soon as it idles under 700 RPM, then the vibration comes.

I also did notice that sometimes, when the radiator fan (or AC fan?) came on, the vibration would go away. But then again, it made the engine idle at a higher RPM when it did that.

I didn't demonstrate for the tech what it was. Guess I will make sure to do that next time I go to the dealer.

Last edited by whiteazn; 04-15-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2012

It almost as if the whole car vibrates. I feel it in the steering wheel, and especially in my seat. Even the cup console shakes a bit too. As soon as it idles under 700 RPM, then the vibration comes.

I also did notice that sometimes, when the radiator fan (or AC fan?) came on, the vibration would go away. But then again, it made the engine idle at a higher RPM when it did that.

This is why I say to compare to an identical car. This sounds average for the car, the engine doesn't have balance shafts and it does vibrate at low RPMs. But, I still can't tell how bad your vibration is.

I didn't demonstrate for the tech what it was.

This would be your biggest mistake.

Nobody knows what the F you are talking about.
I can almost guarantee you that when the ticket got to the shop, all it said was "check the noise" with zero helpful information on it.

This is one of the absolute worst work tickets I can get: I may as well **** away half of the day, or go deaf right now and park it outside. Move on to profitable work.

I have 7 simple words that service people the world over cannot possibly utter to a customer: "Can you show me what you mean?"

I actually have a list of phrases that need taught at advisor school: "Where is your wheel lock key?" is the second item on the list.
Old 01-05-2015
Registered!!

epblowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Rough Idle when car stopped ...

Originally Posted by whiteazn
Whenever I drive my car around, and I get to a light, and stop, the car tends to have a rough idle. It feels like the car/engine/steering wheel shakes. And it seems that only the driver feels it. I have other people in the car, and they do not feel it they say. But when they drive it, they will notice it. So it is not rough enough to really feel it, but as the driver, it starts to get annoying after all this time.

It *usually* only happens when the car has warmed up, so it is not when the engine is cold. Also, if I slightly hit the accelerator pedal, it goes away (keep foot on break, and just slightly hit the acc pedal, the vibration goes away, or if I put in neutral and hit the accelerator pedal, same thing, the vibration goes away). This happens in gear, neutral, or in park (haven't checked in reverse).

I have taken it to the dealer, and they replaced the engine mounts, but that didn't fix it. They told me to put better gas in it (I just fill up at Costco), but even with Chevron premium, made no difference. I had my dad check it out, and he said it might be a timing issue (not sure if he meant belt or maybe something with the ECU or whatever?) or maybe I should check spark plugs.

Any other ideas what it might be? I won't have a chance to take it in to the dealer till next week. But hoping to get some ideas on what it might be.

Edit: 2009 Honda Civic LX-S, Auto, 4dr
Hi,
Is your car vibration issue fixed? My 2012 Honda Civic LX shows same same problem what you described. I purchased car from dealer a week ago. It is only 25K miles on it. It would be very helpful if you could let me know about the fix
Old 01-05-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by epblowell
Hi,
Is your car vibration issue fixed? My 2012 Honda Civic LX shows same same problem what you described. I purchased car from dealer a week ago. It is only 25K miles on it. It would be very helpful if you could let me know about the fix
Nope. Usually if it bothers me, I just step on the accelerator to a slightly higher RPM to get rid of it. At this point, I don't feel like paying money just to try and figure out what it is since it is out of warranty. If you have a warranty, I'd do what the other replies said. Take it to the dealer, and demonstrate it. Something that might help your case also is to put something in the cup holder, as I can easily tell when the engine vibrates.

Wish you luck.
Old 07-15-2017
Registered!!

Bluedabadee is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had this exact issue for a several years now...orig owner 07 LX.

Couple things I've been thinking is Upper and Lower idle control sensors. idk if these are aka camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. Maybe O2 sensor and MAF sensor, although no emissions problems. Others have reported no change is performance after rplcng PCV valve and that it's not actually a generally serviceable part.

Checked all 4 coils while rplcng plugs 2 wks ago (also first time plug change) btw found all 4 on line $36 total for all 4 correct OEM NGK Iridium plugs - found online at new-part.com - dealer price $29/ea. and mechanic job over $150. I did it in 20mins and used anti-seize plus just a dab of di-electric grease. Runs almost same as before which has always been pretty great, plugs looked somewhat carbon burnt but to be expected at 97k.

Anyway, this is not aggressive enough as issue for me to spend much time (except a light web search over my curiosity) and especially money chasing down something that is so trivial...considering that it has never appeared to effect performance in any way.
Guess just call it a quirk! both mine an my civic's.

I suppose if I get a bug up my a$$ then I just might consider replacing some of the aforementioned parts. BUT I don't want to throw $$$PARTS at a problem just in the hopes that one of them makes things better. I will post any results I get if I do it tho.
Old 07-31-2017
Registered!!

berry neilson is an unknown quantity at this point

LIKE. THumbs UP. AWESOME THREAD
Old 08-11-2017
Registered!!

Jathultz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have owned my 2007 Honda Civic the time and is currently at 160,000miles. There has been multiple recalls you need to make sure you are up to date with and also the AC fan in the Dron I am currently replacing that is causing a rough idle. There are multiple items with this vehicle that I have either tweaked or replaced that have made this a car to keep for a long time. Email with any further questions