Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2011 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donka is an unknown quantity at this point
2011 Honda Civic

The car only has about 1000 miles on it, but when you try to start the car, the key is turned all the way over, all lights are on but the car will just make a humming noise but not start. Usually you have to key putting key in and out and turning it over and then will finally start. It only does it periodically, so dealership will not fix and has left me stranded
Old 03-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 Honda Civic

does the green key light flash on the dash?
Old 03-08-2011
Registered!!

Donka is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not believe it does, I was thinking I have an issue with ignition switch or an electrical issue but I am not sure since I am not a mechanic
Old 03-09-2011
Registered!!

tatarik is an unknown quantity at this point

the car is brand new and under warranty. i suggest you take it to the dealer.
Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

Kwhittington is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds to me like your ignition isn't registering with the computer chip in you key. Try using the 2nd key the dealership gave you or see if your warranty will cover them reprogramming your keys to your ignition
Old 01-02-2012
Registered!!

unhappycivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2011 civic lx coupe & am experiencing the SAME exact problem. I have had it to the dealer 4 times & have recently bought a flip cam to video the problem. I already have a lemon lawyer waiting so I can either get a new one or my $ back!
Old 01-02-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

What is the battery voltage like? go to a local auto store that can test your battery.

"Velcomen"
Old 01-03-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

I agree it kinda sounds like the chip in the key is not working..try the other key and see if it works.. make a video of it.. Go to the dealer..they can't leave you stranded its under warranty..go to a different dealer if you have to.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

steveincali is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2011 Civic with 20,000 miles. I took it in a 15,000 because of the identical starting issue - happens on an intermitent basis. The dealer could not duplicate the problem. I have it at the dealer again today at 20,000 miles - dealer cannot duplicate the problem. I asked them to keep the car antoher day and keep trying. I know when I bring it home I will turn the key & it will not start...very frustrating. I am at the poiint where I do not want this car - thinking it will just die when I hit 30,000 & warranty expires.

Last edited by steveincali; 02-16-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you are really good with electronics and have the electrical service manual, you could wire in a bypass harness for the immobilizer and delete it completely. its one of the most useless things honda came up with, after the radio security code. it would require lots of rewiring, and if done properly, the car will start up normally with any matched key (no programming). but the downside is the green key light will always be on, which you can put a tape behind to cover it, but also the check engine light will stay on, so you will not know if there are other problems unless you keep scanning for codes every so often. i wanted to do this a while back but its tied into all the critical systems and i didnt feel like wasting the time hacking up wires.
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

luis1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Problem On The 2011 Honda Civic The Dealer Think Is The Starter But It Is The Safety Parking Swicth I Have That Problem To The Dealer Replace The starter And The Problem Continue And A Mechanic Say Is That Swicth So I Will take It To The dealer Tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

luis1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steveincali
I have a 2011 Civic with 20,000 miles. I took it in a 15,000 because of the identical starting issue - happens on an intermitent basis. The dealer could not duplicate the problem. I have it at the dealer again today at 20,000 miles - dealer cannot duplicate the problem. I asked them to keep the car antoher day and keep trying. I know when I bring it home I will turn the key & it will not start...very frustrating. I am at the poiint where I do not want this car - thinking it will just die when I hit 30,000 & warranty expires.
If The Car Dont Start Put It In Neutral And The Car Will Start If It Start You Need To Replace The Safety Parking Sensor
Old 03-12-2014
Registered!!

rgmartinez is an unknown quantity at this point

It just sounds like u have a starter engine problem, can be many things in that little thing, parts are rare to find so fixing it will be pretty expensive, but buying a new one would be recommended be many, even mechanics, it would range from 120 to even 300 depending were u go, all are the same so don't pay more and get the right one. I had the similar problem, but my dad being a mechanic he knew the problem from the second he saw it. I can say my car is working as knew again and I to have a 2011 civic, and no the starter does not fall in their warranty, I checked the book and online numerous times, so this fix is a must unfortunately.
Hope this helped