Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

Rat chewed my wiring, help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tppiotrowski is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Rat chewed my wiring, help.

I just returned from a vacation and when I turned on my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, the check engine light came on. It was not on before. The fuel cap is on tight.

Upon closer inspection, I found wiring that had been chewed through under the hood. Can somebody tell me what this wiring is for? Alternator? Is it safe to drive to the dealer? Can I replace this part myself and how much would it cost?

The car appears to idle fine.

Thanks,
Ted

Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Rat chewed my wiring, help.

You should be fine to drive. The only wires you don't want to touch are the orange ones, they're for the electric drive system. 50,000 volts- can you say Human Torch. lol
Old 03-02-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

OOooo 50000 volts .... They are sensor wires which explains the check engine light. I'd drive it on to the shop or disconnect the battery and repin the connectors.
Old 03-02-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

If it is just the 2 wires I would repair it yourself. Easy to match color, splice in a new section of wire if needed. Solder them and heat shrink 1 or 2 layers then tape up.
Old 03-02-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Agreed.
Old 03-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ x2