Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic 2010: Key Gets Stuck in Ignition

Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resume-writer is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Honda Civic 2010: Key Gets Stuck in Ignition

I'm having a problem.

My key gets stuck in the ignition. I read the manual, and there's an anti-theft feature, which is great unless I need to leave my car with the key in the ignition because I can't get it out!

I took it into the Dealer, but they can't reproduce the problem. It's doesn't happen all the time. No service bulletins exist on the issue.

It's happened 5 times so far, and I'm at 200+ miles.

The wheels are straight and in Park. I jiggle the steering wheel back and forth trying to push the key in to turn it, but can't turn in toward me. I get others to come out to my car to try to get the key out, and they can't either.

What usually fixes the problem is I start up the car, take it for a short spin, then park it again. Sounds like a "Rain Dance", doesn't it?

I don't have a lot of keys on my key ring.

The car is brand new.

I think the Dealer thinks I'm crazy!
Old 04-28-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic 2010: Key Gets Stuck in Ignition

spray some silicone lube in the key hole and then try putting the key in and out. silicone spray is clear and will dry out over time (usually 1 day), so dont worry that you will make a mess everytime you drive.
Old 05-03-2010
Registered!!

hindude will become famous soon enough

I had kind of the opposite problem with my 04 ex. I put the key in and it wouldn't turn. It was as though i was putting the wrong key into the ignition. (I wasn't, only have one car key on the key chain) This has happened to to me twice. I just kept inserting, trying to turn, removing, and the key. first time, it worked after a minute of trying. the second time, I was out somewhere in a snowstorm. It took like 3 scary minutes to get it going. Thought I was screwed for sure that time.

Gearbox, do you think that silicone lube would work in my situation too?
Old 05-03-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its worth a try. wouldnt make it any worse than already is. seems like your lock mechanism is getting jammed. i used to have the same issue.
Old 05-03-2010
Registered!!

Sounds good. I don't really have any time right now (finals) but i'll be free in about 2 weeks. I'll give it a shot then.
Old 05-05-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hindude
Sounds good. I don't really have any time right now (finals) but i'll be free in about 2 weeks. I'll give it a shot then.
they make special lock graphite that you put in there, I would use that first.
Old 05-05-2010
Premium Member

except it will make a big mess and you will have a hard time ever getting it out. so when you put the key in, it will come out with graphite all over it each time. i tried it once and wasnt happy.
Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

graphite on my keys all the time would probably be more annoying than maybe having to deal with the key not turning in the ignition.
Old 05-07-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
except it will make a big mess and you will have a hard time ever getting it out. so when you put the key in, it will come out with graphite all over it each time. i tried it once and wasnt happy.
Just use a tiny amount, you can buy little tubes.
Old 05-18-2010
Registered!!

clarkkent is an unknown quantity at this point

Try dipping the key in Oil and then put it in the ignition lock, hope this will help you
Old 07-07-2010
Registered!!

civicsedan09 is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother just bought a 2010 civic that has the same problem!

This is how you fix it:
1) Put the car in park
2) Pull up the parking brake
3) Move the steering wheel back and forth until it unlocks
4) Turn on the car!

This should work. This problem may be a result of the steering mechanism getting locked. I hope this helps!
Old 07-09-2010
Registered!!

civtegra is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a lockup selenoid on the ignition switch you should check that if the cars got an automatic transmission
Old 02-25-2011
Registered!!

katiee is an unknown quantity at this point

i actually had this same problem happen to me today and i was glad to see i'm not the only one. i couldnt get the key out of the ignition but as soon as i drove it around the block it worked. my car is a year old but this is the first time its happened.
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civicsedan09

This is how you fix it:
1) Put the car in park
4) Turn on the car!

This should work. This problem may be a result of the steering mechanism getting locked. I hope this helps!
It's been a while since I've been on the forums. Finishing up senior year has kept me busy, but in that time, I ended up figuring this out too. When the steeringwheel locks in a certain position, for some reason the key will not turn in the ignition. However, when the wheel is locked, you can still wiggle it a little, so if you just turn the wheel to the left or right while you turn the key in the ignition, the ignition "unlocks" and you can turn the key all the way.

+1 to civicsedan09 for figuring this out too!
Old 05-31-2014
Registered!!

timbo60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civicsedan09

This is how you fix it:
1) Put the car in park
4) Turn on the car!

Hi,
I have a 2009 Civic LX Sedan, 1 owner - just me, and 12,600 miles, I don't drive much. Yesterday and today I noticed my key was almost stuck, I tried to remove it like I've always done, but when I turn it CCW and the engine shuts off, and at this point the key used to just slide right out. That's where it seems to be stuck. So I turned the key to accessory and then back off, and turned the steering wheel. I'm concerned because something similar happened to my '94 Saturn, 1 owner, about 1999, and with about 15,000 miles, except I couldn't get the key out nor could I start the key. Had to call a locksmith at 9:30 AM on a Sunday morning while I was shopping for groceries, guy charged me about $400. When he showed up he said, "I get lots of calls for Saturn Ignitions" and he removed the key, showed me how a certain metal piece in the ignition wears down, and fixed it. I drove that Saturn another 10 years without incident.
Just came across your post in the forum, haven't had much luck Googling this problem, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with a 2009, but I think I'll take it to the dealer as I'd rather pay now and have it fixed rather than shell out big bucks to the locksmith.
Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

rejescar27 is an unknown quantity at this point

I juste had the same problem last week and had to replace the ignition switch..it cost me 800$ at Honda dealer ...