Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheryl is an unknown quantity at this point
ignition switch

Hi Gentlemen, Can you guys help a grandma out with some advice please? I drive a 2004 Civic which I bought new. For the past year or so the ignition switch has been acting sketchy, sometimes I have to jiggle the key around, move the steering wheel, pull the key out and flip it over, etc. to get it to start. I switched to the spare key because it seemed to work better. Today I grabbed the old key by mistake and when I went to leave the store I was at, the key wouldn't turn in the switch. It was stuck and I couldn't pull it out or start the car. It is now stuck in the on position. Luckily my son was with me, and he took off the covers and used a screwdriver to turn the little white round thing (part of the ignition switch?) to start the car and get us home. I guess I have to buy an ignition switch now. Auto Zone and Advance Auto have them for $400+, amazon has one for $260, and EBay has one from China for $69. I'm reading that they come with keys that will have to be programmed. My son is pretty handy and mechanically talented, but has little experience with newer switches like this. What is the easiest and most economical route for me to take to solve this problem? Thanks for your time.
Old 04-03-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ignition switch

Sounds like the tumblers in the lock cylinder are worn out, this is very common when they get old.

I rebuild the lock--install all new tumblers, and if necessary cut fresh keys. (a key with too much wear can damage even new tumblers)

Not many people can (or know about, or are even willing to) rebuild them, even at dealerships. You'd have to call around and ask if they can retumble the sidewinder ignition lock

Dirt cheap alternative: Remove the lock....Disassemble the lock, remove all of the tumbler wafers from the lock, reassemble the lock and reinstall.
That way it will never have worn tumblers again, and you won't need more new keys.
A screwdriver could turn the ignition on-- but the engine will never run because the immobilizer system MUST have a correctly coded key before it will allow the engine to continue running.
Old 04-03-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Dirt cheap alternative: Remove the lock....Disassemble the lock, remove all of the tumbler wafers from the lock, reassemble the lock and reinstall.
That way it will never have worn tumblers again, and you won't need more new keys.
A screwdriver could turn the ignition on-- but the engine will never run because the immobilizer system MUST have a correctly coded key before it will allow the engine to continue running.
I like this option!
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheryl is an unknown quantity at this point

Ezone you are the man!! My son was able to take your suggestion, watch a few youtubes, take out my ignition cylinder mechanism, and pull all the bent up tumblers. Got it all put back together and now it starts fine! I spent a little on a few tools, but it was well worth it. Thank you for saving me hundreds of dollars!! I love you!!
Old 04-04-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome!