Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

fan problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question fan problems

I love my honda civic 1,4 l 1997. I live in a cold place (sweden) and now my fan blower is very weak and come and go and then stop. Itīs necessary to have it in this weather otherwise I canīt see because of the fog? on the window! Can it be the resistor or fuse or what? I do most of the jobs myself ! With help from Haynes repairhandbook, But the english tecnical words is sometimes hard to understand. So please answer in easy english. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fan problems

I would first turn the system on, see the fan does not work, then wiggle wire connections at the fan motor and the resistor set. If wiggling wires makes the fan work, you probably have bad connections to find and fix. Possibly loose terminals, maybe corroded and rusty.

If still not working, get a voltmeter (or test light) and check 12v positive and negative are supplied to the electric fan motor.

If positive is not present, could be a relay problem....needs further checking

If negative is not present, the problem needs further checking (resistor set or switch or wiring problems)

If both positive and negative are full and present at the motor connection yet the fan does not work, the problem must be faulty fan motor.

If the fan is not working and you hit the bottom of the electric fan motor with your hand and the fan begins working, and you can repeat this a few times, that motor is probably bad.
Old 12-29-2016
Registered!!

anlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Today I bought some fuses and will try that at first, if that doesnīt work I will try your suggestion. I have located the resistor and the fan motor, but maybe Iīm stupid, but if itīs for example the resistor that is broken then the fan doesnīt work? How do I know which part is the problem? Neither of them will work without the other? But thatīs I later step I assumed.
Iīm sure I will come back and ask again. Thank you for your quick answer.
Old 12-29-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Usually when the resistor goes, most of the times, if the fan still works, it will only be on high. The resistor is simple a voltage reducer to give the DC fan motor less voltage so it runs slower and quieter or somewhat people use to control temperature.