Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

What do I need to connect iPod to stock radio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apache is an unknown quantity at this point
What do I need to connect iPod to stock radio?

I have a 2004 Honda Civic: Value Package sedan. It has a stock am/fm radio with a single built in CD player. There is a button that reads cd/tape, but there is no cassette player to be found. There is no 6-cd changer. The windows/mirrors/locks are manual, if that makes any difference.

What I would like to do is hook up my iPod to the existing stereo, I do not want to replace the whole stereo. I want my CD player and FM radio to work; I don't care if the AM stops working, I don't use it. I'd prefer to control the ipod using the ipod, not the stereo, so that I may switch between playlists (of course, not when the vehicle is moving).

What would be the easiest, least costly form of action? I have never tampered with a car's wiring before, so I don't know what a lot of technical terms mean, but I am very good at following plain-english instruction. I'd like a solution that involves plugging things in, no cutting or stripping wires if possible. I've read that this is an easy thing to do using mainly adapters and plugs, but I do not know what specifically I need.

Could anyone recommend products, as well as instruction on exactly what to do for my model? I'd like to know exactly what to buy and a general cost. Also, what might this cost to get done at an Auto Sound Shop? I will do it myself if it only involves plugging things in - thats simple - but I'd much rather leave complicated processes it to a pro.

ETA: I would like to connect it this way, not through an FM transmitter. Those sound like crap, and down the road I will likely upgrade my speakers, so I want to be able to directly connect my ipod to the stock radio.
Old 08-05-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: What do I need to connect iPod to stock radio?

I would just get a new headunit. But if you insist on keeping the stock hu, you can buy this adapter- http://www.amazon.com/USA-PA11-HON-I.../dp/B000NN9SMK

Here's it in action-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS1_2n7SdSM
Old 08-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apache is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an excellent resource, thank you. Will I need any special tools to remove the stereo?
Old 08-06-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Well if your car's never been pulled apart before you might wanna get trim removing tools but you can just use a putty knife or a flat head if you're careful (put tape over the edges to protect the plastic). But other than that all you need is a phillips head and a 7 or 8mm socket (cant remember which)