Sub cut out indefinitely, amp still runs. - Honda Civic Forum

Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2009   #1
Registered!!

malum is an unknown quantity at this point
Sub cut out indefinitely, amp still runs.

I was wondering if someone would have an idea of what's going on here, I sill have yet to try a few things but I'm almost stumped.

I'm running 2 amps, a mono class D amp, and a 4 channel amp.

I just finished installing my new system, Have a 4g wire going to a distribution block, with 4g out to my 4 channel, and an 8g out to my class D. (I used an 8g previously when i only had the class D amp and it ran 2 12's fine. The 4 channel amp demanded I used 4G for it, even though it's 400 watts.)

I had everything working fine, cranked the bass to check how it sounded, it worked perfectly. Then I went for a drive and had it turned up moderately and the sub cut out only a minute after leaving.

The mono amp is still running fine, the 4 channel amp is working perfectly. I've checked all my connections, the RCA cable, the soldering inside the sub box, all the connections seem to be healthy, yet the sub hasn't turned on since.

I'm just wondering if anyone has some educated opinions, perhaps with the extra load of the 4 channel amp, I should be running 4G to both amps? I mean I know i should be, but I used to run 2 12" off this one amp with an 8G no problem. Could having only one sub now on that amp be the issue?
malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #2
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Sub cut out indefinitely, amp still runs.

Is the amp for the sub going into protection mode? How do your grounds look?

How do you have the subs amp wired to the sub now vs how it was?
BJanzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #3
Registered!!

That's what I thought because when i checked my ground the amps ground had slipped a little and wasn't tight. I readjusted it and it's snug now, didn't change it though.

Before the amp was wired directly to the battery via 8G wire.

Now, there is a 4G wire going to a distribution block, which splits off an 8G to the amp.

another 4G goes off to the 4 channel amp.

__________________/-----8Gwire------- Mono Amp
Battery--4Gwire--Block
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\-----4Gwire-------4 Channel Amp
Old 05-27-2009   #4
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have a fuse on that power wire? More specifically a fuse within 18 inches of the battery?
Old 05-27-2009   #5
Registered!!

There's a fuse just inside the passengers door near the foot area right ont he inside of the firewall.

The block also has a fuse for each split.
Old 05-27-2009   #6
Registered!!

I would move the fuse within 18" of the battery, that isnt your problem, but that is a safety issue.

Try unplugging the four channel amps power and just running the subwoofer amp. Just a random thing I would try. I am guessing you grounded both amps to the same spot? When I was running two amps I grounded them to two different areas (doubt it makes a difference but worth a shot).

Ill think of things that are more likely and so will others.
Old 05-27-2009   #7
Registered!!

Yeah they're grounded in the same spot.

I'll try making it separate.

I havent tried disconnecting the other amp yet but I'll give it a go. Ill get back to you in a minute.
Old 05-27-2009   #8
Registered!!

Well I've tried just about everything. Tomorrow I'll try connecting it with the 4g wire from the other amp and see how it goes.

I tried a different sub directly wired, tried new RCA cables, put the 8g wire into the distribution block slot that the working 4 chan amp was in, I tried an old amp I had in the garage, nothing worked. I'm stumped!
Old 05-28-2009   #9
Registered!!

Retell is an unknown quantity at this point

It wouldn't fix the problem, but you should run 8gauge into both, not 4 into one and 8 into the other.

How long are your grounds? Are your grounds going through a distro block?

Your amp might be going into safe mode, make sure you do not have any wires touching each other.

Just for a woofer test, try hooking the woofer up to the 4 channel amp for a few min and make sure the woofer works with that amp. It is possible your voice coil got messed up for some strange reason and killed your woofer.

These are just shots in the dark :P
Retell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #10
Registered!!

The only reason I'm running a 4G into the 4 channel amp is it has a warning that clearly demands it. I didn't want to run 4 but I had no choice. I'm going to try running the sub on that amp later on today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Basically the distro block and the 2 amps are sharing a ground. I'm going to try giving it an independent ground today as well.
Old 05-28-2009   #11
Registered!!

You want to have all the amps hooked up to the same ground.
Old 05-28-2009   #12
Registered!!

I figured that, I just can't figure out what the hell is going on. I'm trying everything.

I tried hooking the sub to the working 4 channel amp, got nothing, I had hooked up the sub out RCA to the 4 channel amp while i tried this. I figured id go inside and get my cracked sub (which still works) and try it out. It didn't respond either. I found that pretty weird since I'm POSITIVE it was working when i pulled it out of my old car.

So the subs didn't work with the 4 channel amp.

I figured perhaps the RCA cable was just toast, so I tried hooking a speaker up to the same channel I hooked the sub into and it responded, so theres no problem fromt he Deck side. I also switched around the working rca cables from the front and rear channels just to be certain, no go.

Basically I've tried almost everything from process of elimination, and wherever my regular speakers would work, my subs (both of them) wouldn't respond at all whatsoever. I tried hooking up the subs and speakers bridged and at 2 and 4 ohms, I tried every possible combination of connections.

I even tried directly wiring the 4chan amp individually without the distribution block and hooking up each sub, thinking that maybe it was causing a problem of some sort. Nothing.

The only explanation I have is either

A) BOTH my subs decided to stop working at the same time, even though the other one has been unhooked for a while and worked previously....or

B) My car is like the island from LOST, there is a magnetic field that magically won't let any subs work when they have entered it, there is no scientific explanation, just the universe telling me NO BASS. :P

Yeah.
Old 05-28-2009   #13
Registered!!

I it didn't work using the sub preouts and you tried a speaker preout and it worked, that means there is a problem with your headunit/preouts. Does your sub need to be enabled on that headunit? I know everynow and then my subwoofer settings get disabled on my head unit.
Old 05-29-2009   #14
Registered!!

I checked that as well. Everything seems fine, It's really confusing that's for sure.

I took the RCA Sub out, connected it to the 4 channel amp, then tried running a regular speaker off it, and it worked, but once again when i attached the sub, nothing.

Tomorrow I'm going to have a friend come by and try his sub out here, because I just don't know anymore. I mean, I'm no over-educated pro at this but I've done my fair share of system installs. I'm no idiot, but this definitely has me dumbfounded. I never thought I would have a problem quite like this.
Old 05-29-2009   #15
Registered!!

silver25civic is an unknown quantity at this point

are you having a loud thumping noise comming from the speaker? where do you have your amps mounted at? i hope not on the speaker box. thats the worse the that you could do. if you have the thumping in you speakers and the amp is showing normal unplug the rcas. if it stops plug them back in, if it does the same their is something wrong with your amp. my friend had the same humming problem with her amp and sperkers and when i picked up the back seat of her honda that see had her amp on it started playing normal, and when i moved it back down it started humming again. take you amp out of your car and if they have a place where they can fix it for you thats what i would do. around by my house i have a friend that fixes amps, radios, and builds speaker boxes based apond what sub you have. try that and let me know something.

manuel
silver25civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #16
Registered!!

No loud thumping noises no, and my 4 channel amp is mounted on my back seat, the mono amp is on the floor of the trunk. For some reason I just don't feel like it's a problem with the amp, but I can't tell that or sure, otherwise i wouldn't be pulling hairs right now. heh