Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Need help with amps

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008
gia
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gia is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with amps

Hi... I am trying to buy my bf a amp for his car for his birthday...
However have no clue about amps and neither does he...
Can someone please tell me what would be the best amp for his civic...He now has a 4 6x5 polk 180 watt speakers with a pioneer deck.. But his sound is not as clear as it could be, which he wants...
Nevertheless, he does not want to shake the entire block with the bass of his music... Just an amp that makes his sound more clearer...
Thanks so much!!!!
Old 03-08-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need help with amps

He only has 6x5s? You don't have to worry about shakin too much with that. They'll beat a little, but not like 10s, 12s, or 15s would.

The amp kinda depends on how much you want to spend. Boosting the power will clean the sound up and make the speakers perform better, but I'm not sure if it's going to be a jaw dropper. At least for the average listener.

***edit*** This might be better:

Alpine PDX-4.150

Don't forget the extras:

Remote wire
RCA cables
Power wire
Fuse

Last edited by pheaton; 03-08-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

just goto bestbuy or circuitcity or walmart even and buy an amp that says "4 Channels" and "50rms" and youll be good.
Old 03-17-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to get specific, you need to match up the speakers with the appropriate amplifier. For sure, you want a 4 channel amplifier. What's important is the RMS wattage and impedance. These specifications will appear in a format as such: 4x50@8ohms (will appear as an omega symbol) the 4 stands for number of channels. the 50 stands for the wattage, the 8 stands for the resistance. what you need to do is find out how much wattage the speakers he has uses at what wattage. If you flip the speaker over, or if you look at the paperwork included with the speakers. it'll say something like 45watts RMS 8 ohms this means that the amplifier has more then needed power to run these speakers (assuming all the speakers in the car are the same. It might sound complicated, but it's not really that bad. Whatever you do, don't go asking questions to people at best buy or circuit city in the sales section. You actually have to talk to someone in the install garage to get someone that knows what they're talking about. Trust me, I have personal experience. Just like pheaton said, make sure you have all the wiring. OH and last bit of advice, well, two things, you should really only be running an amplifier on an aftermarket stereo. (just my personal opinion. the stock radio never puts out a good enough signal, plus it's more complicated to install it on a stock radio) and second bit, when you run wiring, run the signal (RCA) cables down one side of the car and the power wire down the other side of the car. (assuming the amplifier will be installed in the trunk.) There's a lot involved, but it's honestly manageable.