Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Sub problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007
hvc
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Sub problem

So i had my subs, amp, and HU installed by Future Shop. Bad choice i know, but i had a gift certificate, so i figured i'd use it.

Anyways, this will be the 2nd time it's happened. I'll be listening to music, and boom my subs will completely cut out. Fuse isn't broken, wiring seems to still be fine. I just briefly looked at it tonight, but I'm wondering if anybody knows what it can possibly be? I'm going to take it back to Future Shop on Thursday, but until then i'm wondering if it's something small that i can fix.

I don't think it's my amplifier, I sure as hell hope it isnt.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2007
Registered!!

Mr. Beefy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sub problem

you amp is going into thermal shut down. you're giving too much power to the speakers... try turning down the gaine on your amp and play your system for a while to see if it still shuts off
g/l
Old 06-05-2007
hvc
Registered!!

yeah, actually my friend just told me that. he said to turn it down about a half decibel? sound correct?
Old 06-06-2007
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold

To properly tune your amp turn your hu to full volume. Once you're at full volume, turn it down about 5 notches. From there you can tune your amp. Once the amp is tuned you shouldn't have any problems with clipping, going thermal, etc, should that be the problem. Make sure you don't tune it to the point of clipping. Better yet, take it to a reputable dealer and let them tune it if you're unsure.
Old 06-06-2007
hvc
Registered!!

yeah i'm aware how to tune it, i just wasn't sure maybe i did something wrong? Thanks for the info though.

Also, it was my fuse under my hood. It wasn't broken, but where they solder the breakable piece to the cap-thing, was not holding it's connection. put in a new fuse and off i was.

Also, the LP filter, and the Bass EQ. What is recommended setting for these? or how do i find the appropriate setting? Also, what exactly is Low-Pass filtering compared to high-pass. I've got a general idea but from further reading I'm sort of confused.
Old 06-08-2007
Registered!!

beverly_k is an unknown quantity at this point

tune your LP filter into 80hz. then as for the bass boost just put it at around 30% gain. because to much of this will break your sub, and this also burdens your amp to much.
Old 06-08-2007
Registered!!

gerardo reynoso is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same problem with my car. but my amp would shut off and on when i would hit a bump or when i would tap it in the top so i took it back were i got it installed and they told me my amp was bad ... so might wanna check your amp...
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

jay47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, if none of the above fixes the problem, then it is highly possible that the wiring inside of the sub box could have came loose. This happened to me and to my friends, after using our subs for a while they would just cut out and we checked everything else and finally rewired the inside of the sub (just more securely) and everything has been fine since. Sometimes just the pressure and the shaking can cause the wires to come loose, make sure that they have a good connection, but, as above, my first thought was that the amp was going into protection mode and you needed to turn your gain down.
Old 06-12-2007
hvc
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jay47
Hey, if none of the above fixes the problem, then it is highly possible that the wiring inside of the sub box could have came loose. This happened to me and to my friends, after using our subs for a while they would just cut out and we checked everything else and finally rewired the inside of the sub (just more securely) and everything has been fine since. Sometimes just the pressure and the shaking can cause the wires to come loose, make sure that they have a good connection, but, as above, my first thought was that the amp was going into protection mode and you needed to turn your gain down.
Yeah, it was just my fuse, i think i said that above, but i don't know.

right now my effin ground wire slipped right out of the terminal. Gotta find some time to rewire that part. Everything is going wrong with my system, lol i kind of hate it.
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road

Your ground wire came out of the terminal?
I'd go back to your shop and say something because that shouldn't EVER happen as long as the amp is wired and secured properly...