Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

frequent loss of air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim kinnear is an unknown quantity at this point
frequent loss of air pressure

I have a 2014 civic exl. Love the car but I have had to put air in the tires 14 times in 7 months. this is a pain in the butt and I'm wondering if anybody else has this problem ? I have the low profile high performance tires. The dealer said they checked them and no leaks anyplace.
Old 02-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: frequent loss of air pressure

There is a software update for the TPMS system on 2014 Civics, see your dealer to get this done. The update is supposed to reduce sensitivity.
If they don't know about it, they need to look up bulletin 14-042.

Otherwise, you need to understand that tire pressures change with every change in temperature. If you live somewhere the temps fluctuate a lot, your tire pressures change right along with it. The car can detect these changes and trip the light.

I live where the temps may change 50* or more in a week, and I really dislike seeing 4 dozen customers roll in with that darn light on every time the temp drops. Sometimes there isn't much we can do about it.

Nitrogen will not help. The laws of Physics still apply.

If you roll in to your dealer with the light on and they set pressures for you, they are probably doing this on warm tires which is technically incorrect (the simple act of driving the car makes tires heat up).
Tire pressures are supposed to be set with tires cold, and doing this in a heated shop during the winter can cause false readings, pressures drop after the car leaves the shop.
This may be a part of your issue, I cannot tell that from here though.
I can think of maybe a dozen possible reasons or causes for the light to come on while pressures are correct.

Driving on snow and soft ground or driving with a heavy load can make it come on too. This is in mentioned your owners manual.

---------------

The calibration procedure has to be done whenever anything is done with the tires, including adjusting pressures and routine tire rotation.
I do it by having the car sit still in park.
Park on flat level ground.
Tire pressures correct
Key ON (or pushbutton ignition ON)
Close doors
Start the calibration process in the IMID menu
Do not move the car for at least one full minute.

---------------

If the low tire warning comes on and you try to just do the calibration without correcting whatever the system thought was wrong (tire pressures), it will turn the light on again within 20 minutes of driving 30-60 MPH.

Last edited by ezone; 02-10-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: frequent loss of air pressure

At what pressure do you usually keep them?