Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

When To replace Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironliftr3 is an unknown quantity at this point
When To replace Rotors?

I have a 98 Civic DX with 145K on it. The brakes have only been touched once, and I'm assuming the rotors were machined, not replaced.

I'm going to replace the pads (probably with Hawks as suggested on here), but how do I know if I should replace the rotors? I haven't had any noticeable 'shaking' or warped feeling, but my guess is at 145K, it's about time to go ahead and replace the rotors.....

How can you tell if the rotors "need" replacing (other than pulsing when braking)? Am I wasting money by replacing them, or is it just good practice to replace them at this point?

I was going to go with OEM because that's what seems to be suggested on here, but would also like brand suggestions if possible. Car is just a general street drive car, no mods. Thanks guys!
Old 10-24-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When To replace Rotors?

I would go with OE aftermarket part as it's much cheaper than what Honda has to offer. You know it's time to change the rotors based on the thickness left of it. You take them to a shop and ask them to turn them, and they will measure them and tell you they can't turn them because they are too thin.